Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A fifth of 100 movies

   Here is the fifth set of ten of the 100 movies I really like, which, in case you're bad at math, brings us to the halfway point. Unlike Jaquandor, from whom I stole this meme, I have made no attempt to order or rank these in any way. In fact, I applied a random number generator to my initial list in order to ensure the movies appeared in no specific order. Yeah, I know, kinda geeky.
   Anyway, here are the first four segments of this list, in case anyone is interested:
      Part the first
      Part the second
      Part the third
      Part the fourth

The Sixth Sense - I watched this movie with my wife. I had heard the big spoiler about it. She had not. It was like we watched two different movies. It ceratinly made for an interesting discussion afterwards. Of course, then we had to watch it all over again, so she could see all the 'clues' I had picked up on, because I knew to look for them.

Shanghai Noon - Sure it's silly, but it's silly in a good way. Wilson and Chan play off each other quite well. Funny line: Chan's character is named Chon Wang. Wilson's character mishears it as "John Wayne," and tells him that's a terrible cowboy name, and he should change it... I guess you had to be there.

Memento - You can read about this movie all you want, but you won't really understand what people are saying about it unless you watch it. It is filmed in a non-linear fashion, with one storyline progressing forward and one progressing backward until they meet in an unexpected fashion. I really, really enjoyed this one, and highly recommend it.

The Iron Giant - "I Superman!" We saw this in the theater when it first came out. I think it was one of the first movies we took Matthew to see. He was quite young. We had no idea it was going to end the way it did. He cried for hours.

Ruthless People - Bette Midler, Judge Reinhold and Helen Slater pretty much do the best they can here, but they are outshone by Danny Devito like the sun outshines the moon. The man was inspired in this film. I'm giggling here just thinking about it.

Monsters Inc. - Pixar again. 'Nuff said.

Ice Age - Pretty much my favourite thing about this movie was the short featuring the prehistoric squirrell going after the acorns. Follows the Pixar formula: well known comic actors voicing the characters, and top notch animation bring an excellent story to life.

Titan: AE - Holy cow! This is the animation edition of this list, I think. Titan:AE is notable because it is well done conventional animation in a CGI world. Excellent sound on this if you have a surround system.

Back to the Future - "One point twenty-one jigawatts? ONE POINT TWENTY-ONE JIGAWATTS!!??" Michael J. Fox was the big star at the time, but Christopher Lloyd carries this movie with his slightly loopy antics. Kramer owes just about every gag he ever did to Lloyd.

Bull Durham - I love the Crash Davis character portrayed by Kevin Costner in this film. He seems so real, so grounded, so at ease with himself. If I were Susan Sarandon, I'd have said, "oh, my!" as well.

<< previous ten                    next ten >>

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta disagree with you on "6th Sense".  I thought it was overrated and that big-eyed kid was just another big-eyed kid in a horror movie.  Yawn.

"Iron Giant" definitely rocked though.

Russ

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Bull Durham...  I get hot just thinking about it... Okay... TMI, I know.  LOL  Also, I worked the theatre on July 3, 1985 when it opened and for the next 6 months that we ran it.  We used to do contests saying the dialogue along with the movie and see who would screw up first!  Christopher Lloyd is an underrated genius.  On Taxi... he was my fave....

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Bull Durham is the only one on the list I haven't seen.  They're all acceptable flicks in my book.  I cried, too, at the end of Iron Giant.  Not for hours, you understand, but I was in need of a tissue, to be sure.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.com

Anonymous said...

Ice Age was directed by a guy in my graduating class.  I don't remember him at all.

Anonymous said...

I never thought about the Christopher Lloyd/Kramer connection until I read your entry. You're right!

Happy Thanksgiving from Indiana,

Beth

Anonymous said...

Love this idea.  I'm going to have to do my own list of 100 Movies now!  :)

Patrick

P.S.  If I had known going in that Momentum was told in this fashion, I might have liked it more.  Without any heads-up, I found it a confusing, annoying mess and haven't been able to bring myself to give it a second chance just yet.  Maybe one day.

Anonymous said...

I loved Memento.  You have to see it at least twice to get more of a feel for what is happening.  Great movie.

I haven't looked at your list.  I hope Joy Ride is on it.  Great movie.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I had been told that there was a surprise ending to The Sixth Sense and figured out what it was about halfway through (the restaurant scene with his wife).

It took me about 30 minutes to figure out what was going on in Memento -- that the scenes were playing out in reverse order.  Pretty trippy stuff going on in that one.

Some other great movies here, but Ruthless People has to be one of the funniest of all time.

Anonymous said...

I was reading the list from bottom to top and everything was looking great until I hit Shanghai Noon. Shanghai Noon? Comedies are hit or miss and I just couldn't buy into this one.

I like Kathy's recommendation of Joy Ride. It's not a great movie but Steve Zahn is hilarious in this and its a horror/thriller.

Memento rocks! If you've never seen it, you might want to check out the film Chrs Nolan did before Memento called Following (1998).


Anonymous said...

Dear Paul
you and he family and Simon and family should sit down to some serious old Samarai movies; they are excellent. I liked the Sixth Sense a lot.
Did you ever see "Run Lola Run?"
natalie

Anonymous said...

Now I've read the entire list (as it stands on 2/29/2008).  I, too watched The Six Sense with my wife, and I knew the spoiler while she did not.  I was pissed off that I had picked up an Entertainment Weekly at a doctor's office and innocently read the big secret.  But, like you said, we were watching two different movies.  Very cool.

I dig all the movies you've listed so far -- those that I've seen, that is.  I've seen most of them.  Sure, there are lots that I like that aren't on here, but hey, it's only 100 movies.  Makes me want to make my own list.  Maybe I will.  Hmmm..