Thursday, March 1, 2007

Six degrees of separablogtion

   Thought I'd play a little game today, called Six Degrees of Blog Separation. I started with a link from my journal, out to someone else's. In this case, I clicked on the link to Annie's journal in a previous entry. That was one degree. From there, I clicked on one of the blogs in Annie's 'other journals' section (two degrees), and so on, until I was six clicks away from my own blog. I just wanted to see where I would end up.
   I must admit, the process wasn't entirely random. Doing a blog jog in AOL J-land can lead you around in a circle in very short order. I tried, whenever possible, to click on a link to a journal I was not familiar with, so as to find new people and new writing. As well, I decided to limit myself to AOL journals for this round, but I might not next time I do this.
   Where I ended up was at
Jason's Thoughts & Views, reading about Jason being made Fire Chief for a Day. Interesting people are everywhere.

   If you decide to try out Six Degrees of Blog Separation for yourself, be sure and drop a comment here letting me know where you ended up.

Tags:
, , , ,

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a really6 neat idea.  I just visited "Jason's Thougths and Views".  I'm going to try the Six Degrees of Blog Separation later.  Nice Entry.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

I figured I had to give it a go.

Six clicks later, I ended up at Very Zen.

http://www.amanda.veryzen.com/

Interestingly, all it is now is a front page that consists of a letter briefing readers on why she chose to shut down the blog.  Faux celebrity status that earned vitriol from peers and attracted vicious comments and email from haters.  An interesting take on one of the uglier sides of blogging.

Simon

Anonymous said...

That was fun. I started in WV and then took a couple swipes at the UK, bounced over to TX and then back to the UK where I finally landed on one of the blogs I always read: Gazker's Diary of a Podgy Poof!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/gazker/Dairyofapodgypoof/
--Cin

Anonymous said...

I am going to give this a try!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I call that link jumping. It's an interesting way of finding new journals~~
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

dear Paulo,
blink blink....woooowww!psychidelic!:):)sp?
I like the degree thing....(looks...) and here I thought...
it was..a linky ..thingy......
hugs natalie

Anonymous said...

I did it but ended up in the middle of nowhere near myself!  lol

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Great idea P!  I'll give this idea a go when I wade through all my alerts.  Have you checked out the new Journals (Blog) page?  They have links to most commented in and to most recently updated AOL blogs.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I like this game but I want to give you the link to a wonderful entry by Rebecca just a couple of days ago.http://journals.aol.com/justaname4me2/InTheShadowOfTheIris/entries/2007/03/02/for-my-personal-entertainment-value/1782  I have been linkng journals from this entry this morning, and found some great ones.  She has a writer's taste.  I am finding new treasures!  Gerry