Friday, January 19, 2007

tun'd his pipes wi' grave grimace...

   I was looking at a website for a local business today. They are located at a corner which abuts a town park named after the founding residents of this fair burgh. Aurora, Ontario used to be known as Machell's Corners, after Richard Machell, who was the first merchant to set up shop at the spanking new crossroads of Yonge Street and Wellington Road in 1804. This business (the one whose website I was perusing, not Richard Machell's), which is located in a plaza across the street from Machell Park, has a map to their location on their website provided by Microsoft MapPoint™. What caught my eye was the fact that the name of the park, no doubt typed in by a tired and/or bored data entry clerk who was used to the plethora of Scottish and Irish derived place names in southern Ontario, was rendered as MacHell Park.
   I'm wondering, is that where the piper's will be practising before tomorrow's Robbie Burns Day dinner?

Tags:
, , , ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Och!!  I'll tune yer pipes, ye right ignernt basterd!  It's NEXT Friday is Rabbie Burns day!  (Wull, actullee, it's Thursday is the birthday of the Bard, but most dinners nowadays are held on the nearest convenient weekend on account o' the great lot o' septuagenarians what comprise most o' the suppers need the next day to recuperate.)

Fair fa your honest, sonsie face!

Simon

Anonymous said...

If I ask my daughter, who is at a rehersal practising for tonights Burns society party, she would consider it MacHell. It's a teen thing, I think.
I'm off to dust my plaid skirt for it's once a year appearance~
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hey! won't he be cold?:)
nat

Anonymous said...

That is a big difference of emphasis... Machell or MacHell!  Shame on whomever made that typo!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy,
This is off-topic, but I got tagged with a <a href="http://mikesweeklyskepticrant.blogspot.com/2007/01/five-things.html">"five things about you" meme thingy</a> that I'm passing along to you.  If it's your thing, it'd be interesting to know cool stuff about you.  Five things, to be precise.  Enjoy!