Monday, January 29, 2007

John Scalzi's Weekend assignment

Weekend Assignment #149: Reveal Your Teenage Fashion Disasters! Yes, whether it's big hair, Nehru jackets, acid-washed jeans or an ill-advised tattoo, let us know what about your style as a teenager you would change today.

Extra Credit: Are you kidding? Pictures, baby!
   Here I am again, working on one of John's weekend assignments on Monday morning, trying to squeeze it in before he starts updating. My teenage fashion disaster was one of  exclusion. There was no fashion.
   My high school uniform was runners, jeans, and a t-shirt. In fact, if you check out the annual school yearbook pictures I posted in this old entry, you'll see that, so unadventurous was my wardrobe, that I was wearing the same t-shirt in both the 1981 and '82 photos.

   No, if you want to talk about fashion disasters with me, you have to go back long before my teenage years. When I was quite a bit younger than that, my grandmother used to buy me outfits, for my birthday and Christmas, that were quite interesting. I'm sure they were the height of fashion...if I had been Austin Powers, maybe.
   What's that? Evidence, you say?

Seventies_fashion_plates

Oh, behave!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

 Great pictures, LOL.  You look so cute.

              Julie

Anonymous said...

Gee, it looks like you're about ready to head in to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters!

Simon

Anonymous said...

Grovy, baby. Your parents and grandma had a sense of humor, eh? I don't have any  photos of my child-self but I do recall a pair of hideous purple and white bell bottoms. Thanks for sharing the photo.--Cin

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Paul, you look like a character from the original Star Trek series, one of the people they meet on Gamma Cetii VI or some such.  Maybe the head legislator: First Dorkus Plittle.

I still have a pair of sea-green bell bottoms hanging in my closet, just as a reminder.  Maybe if I can dig up some weed and get high enough, I'll put them on, take a picture, and post it............

(P.S.  I'm commenting from Firefox now.  Because of the mish-mash of nationAOL boundaries, I had to enable scripts and cookies on aol.com, aol.ca, AND aolcdn.com in order to make it work.)

Anonymous said...

Oh God ,Paul I can not stop laughing!!! I have to ask, was that an all in one type tunic or was it a turtle neck and v-neck over it? My, how fashion savvy to belt-it! /are you sure that wasn't one of your sister's old jumpers?

Anonymous said...

Tee, I'm pretty sure that was all one piece, including the belt.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Obi Wan and The Early Days of Disco.  

Not too many people could pull off such a look, Paul.  I tip my hat to you!  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Ooooh tres chic!!!  You naughty boy!  lol  I can here the wakka wakka of the 70's music in the background!!!

be well,
Dawn

ps... is that your sister?  

Anonymous said...

OMG... Theresa is right... I can see the prayers on your lips...

lol

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!! Paul you look like a little Spock in the making!!! What was your grandma thinking? Perhaps as in the Christmas Story, she thought you shoulda been a little darling girl? (Hugs) Yes you do need one after showing that pic. Indigo

Anonymous said...

I like it.  It would have gone well with my vinyl zebra print minidress.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, do you and Sue ever look hilarious. You look like a jedi knight in that outfit!

Anonymous said...

Love the Beatles "DO"
connie