Monday, December 11, 2006

A Cautionary Tale

Weekend Assignment #142: Your Christmas/Holiday gift is the ability to expunge one highly annoying yet popular Christmas/Holiday song from the history of the world. Which one is it?

Extra Credit: Fruitcake: Ever actually eat any?

   Funny you should mention this, John. Just the other day, someone on the J-Land Bar and Grill message board asked a similar question. The following was my answer:

   In my area, there is a radio station, called
97.3 EZ-Rock. They play "today's soft rock," a syrupy-sweet combination of Adult Contemporary, and Muzak. For some inexplicable reason, this radio station has decided that it is a good idea to play Christmas music 24/7 starting early November every year. For this reason, many retailers set their in-store radios to EZ 97.3 for the Christmas season. As their entire playlist consists of about fourteen songs, this generally results in retail sales clerks going a little bit loopy by Christmas eve.
   One of the songs this radio station plays on a regular basis - say once every thirty-five minutes or so - is called The Christmas Shoes. Have you heard the one?
Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time
You see she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight
  OK, ladies, go and grab your box of Kleenex. I'll wait.
   Are you back? Let's continue. The reason I hate this song is the reaction I just got. Not that you all got a tear in your eye when you read those lyrics, but that those lyrics have been craftily designed to provoke just such a reaction. From the very first time I heard that song, something about it bothered me. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, but it always struck me as being less sincere than it sounds. In order to write this piece today, I did some Googling, and discovered some things I didn't know about the song, and suddenly I find my finger right on the button. Listen:

   Did you know there was a book written about that song? Neither did I. Did you know they made a TV movie, based on the book written about that song? Neither did I. In searching for information I discovered the CBS.com page about it, and read the story behind the song. Did you know that the song was based on an e-mail that got forwarded across the Internet a few years ago? Yeah, one of those things you get in your mail every day letting you in on the secret $250 Neiman Marcus cookie recipe, or offering to pay you thousands of dollars for forwarding e-mails, or promising you the Taco Bell dog will do a dance on your computer screen, or warning you not to open an email with a certain subject line or a virus will burn a hole in your hard disk drive. You know, to match the one in your head?
   According to the CBS web page, Eddie Carswell, of the band Newsong, received the e-mail, and was inspired to write the song.
NewSong, a Christian musical group, sent its record "The Christmas Shoes" to a top DJ in St. Louis in November 2000. When he played it, the station literally shut down: the switchboard was inundated with calls and the computers crashed from the barrage of emails. With virtually no promotion, the record had 3500 spins around the country in just one week, and shot to #1 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Charts in a record-setting three weeks.
   That's quite a story. It almost sounds like something one would read in a forwarded e-mail, itself. But the most telling thing, to me, is the alleged origin of the song itself. If the story is true - and I can find no suggestion that it is not - then I understand why I object to the song so much. Those forwarded e-mails we all get are designed things. Sure, the tale told may have a kernel of truth to it, but it grows in the telling, as all stories do. People add little details when they recount it to make it more compelling. Like the message in a game of broken telephone, the end result often bears little or no resemblance to the original.
   So what I object to about the song is the way it is crafted with the intent of creating the exact emotional response that it does. I'm not saying that the story isn't true, just that it sounds to me to be too well designed to be. It's smarmy, and maudlin, and fully too manipulative, and we hates it, yessss, my precioussss.

   Sorry.

   Here's my point. If you, as I do, hate this Christmas song, there is a lesson to be learned here. Never, ever, under any circumstances, forward one of those stupid e-mail stories. I'm serious. Even if it isn't a hoax, you're just going to cause pain to someone, somewhere along the line; maybe even in a way you never could have imagined. Do this, and retail employees everywhere will thank you.

Extra Credit: No. Fruitcakes are not meant to be eaten. They are meant to be saved, and passed on to someone else the following year.

tags: , , ,

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HATE songs like that...Xmas or otherwise. The country/pop crap that my husband listens to is a plethora of this "sentimental" BS. All too contrived-sounding for me to ever take seriously. Okay, I have an icy little lump for a heart. (But the hands are warm.)

Am I the only person in the world who likes fruitcake?
-Cin

Anonymous said...

I hate that freakin' song. If I am coughing up a lung & at death's door on Christmas Eve, I hope someone has the good sense to get me a morphine drip instead of those damn shoes.~Mary

Anonymous said...

LOL... yes, I did, in fact, know the email origins of the song, knew there was a book and a movie.  I guesss when you are atheist you miss out on these details... lol.  I hate the song.  lol

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I second Mary's notion.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I've seen the movie twice. Rob Lowe is in it...that's enough to make any warm fuzzies go away. The shoes...butt ugly. Yeah, a woman would want to die before she wore shoes that looked like that!

Anonymous said...

I hate fruitcake and I don't like that song either.
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Is it worse than Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer?

Could it be?

NEVER!

Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Anonymous said...

Okay, yes, it's manipulative as heck, and yes, it actually does make me cry, in large part because my mom died 9 days before Christmas four years ago. But it never occured to me that it might be a true story, any more than I believe that John Lennon slept in some woman's bathtub and later lit a fire in her apartment (Norwegian Wood), or that someone's grandmother was actually run over by a reindeer.

Anonymous said...

    Paul ... If the ladies require Kleenex, then I'm no lady.  I can't stand any song, movie, TV movie, or story that is designed to wring tears out of you. Which means I have never been a fan of 'chick flicks.'  (much to my husband's relief)  I don't like manipulation.  Never have, never will.  Tina
p.s. .... which, by the way, is why I hate 'Santa Baby'   =)

Anonymous said...

LOL at some of the comments:)   I didn't know of the e-mail origins or the book and I may have heard of the movie.   I like the basis / idea for the song, but gosh, it's so overwrought and all those things you are saying.  Contrived, manipulative.   Blech, blech, blech.   Commercialized, emotion on demand.  Have to admit, I'm thankful to have not heard that song this year (yet).  
And, no, Cin, you're not the only one who likes fruitcake.  I really like a GOOD fruitcake (please no one send me their old stale ones, TIA).  -- Robin

Anonymous said...

You need to listen to the duet with Dolly Parton and Rod Stewart singing "It's Cold Outside".  It didn't want to make me cry, but it sure made me want to hurl...  Julie :)  

Anonymous said...

Compusive forwarders annoy me to no end.  I mean, I get some from someone fairly often and I all have to do is a simple search to find it isn't true.  I'm about reader to block her.  LOL

LORI


Who I am… underneath it all:  
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/DiscoveringMe

Precious Metal (A Spiritual Journal)
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/PreciousMetal

Anonymous said...

A girlfriend and I were just talking about this song today over lunch.  

Fortunately, I read Aurora Walking Vacation, and I am well informed.  After I gave her and the waitress the run-down of information I gathered here, both of them looked at me and said, "I remember getting that #$%@-ing email."

Then, my viral marketing awareness took over, and I came to the belief that the email was probably started by some record exec.  I have to admit, it's genius if that's the case.  Pass an email around, and some people will only half-read it and not even realize what they just read.  But, a little nugget may find its way into the subconscious --a non-specific memory, if you will-- which is not enough to allow us to draw a direct correlation, but it is enough to make the song considerably more effective by giving it a sense of the familiar.  Memories are just funny that way.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/
   

Anonymous said...

lmao..you most definately have me beat.  I forgot about that song...and I usually listen to CD's instead of the radio...so I have been blessed. I agree with you on the fruitcake..what are those chunks of stuff inside? Lurking? Fruitcake freaks me out. Take care,
Dwana

Anonymous said...

I like this song.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/JoyToTheWorld

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that the story behind the Christmas Shoes song is true. Few know the true story that has generated fame and fortune for the group New Shoes and many others. And even fewer know the original writer, my mom, who's gotten little credit and no money for the story that has touched millions of hearts and made millions of dollars. In 1977 my mom, Helga Schmidt, was a mother of 3 and had gone back to school. She was studying to be a licensed practical nurse. She was behind in her Christmas shopping because of the extra demands of being in school and keeping up with her family's needs. It was Christmas eve and she was doing some last minute shopping in our local retail store where the experience happened to her. Touched by her experience, she decided to write the story about it to share with her class. The original story was titled "Golden Slippers for Christmas" as the children the story is based on had heard that heaven had streets of gold. Her teacher turned it in to her church paper without my mom's knowledge. Later it somehow made it's way onto the internet without the acknowledgement that she was the author. It became a story by an unknown author. Eventually the story got printed in the Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul book but was printed as author unknown in it as well (in later editions of the book she is identified as the author). At this point the group you are referring to (New Song) received an e-mail of the story that had been circulating on the internet. They took the idea and made it into their now incredibly popular song "Christmas Shoes". Continued.

Anonymous said...

Continued.
But that's not all. In 2001, the song became a book. It made New York Times fiction bestseller's list. The author of that book then sold the rights to it for a movie to be made. The true story differs some from the song, book and movie. Even though all these people have profited well from my mom's story she is not bitter about it and is just thankful and amazed that HER story has touched so many lives. It is my hope that she at least receives the credit she deserves for writing the original story. A newspaper resource also tells her story; it is at www.memmoweekly.org in the December 20, 2002 edition.
Thanks for reading this.