Friday, November 3, 2006

Theme

   Dawn has been reminding me, pretty much every day (no she's not my stalker), that I have not explained the theme I used to choose photographs to display during National Carry Your Camera Everywhere You Go Week. Most of you have pointed out that (almost) all of them feature reflections of some type, and that is a big part of my concept. The first day's photo featured a view through a car window wet with rain, and two of the photos feature windows in which detail can be seen both through, and reflected in them.
   Windows, and mirrors, and other reflective surfaces can fool us into thinking that they are portraying a realistic representation of our world, but in fact, they present us with a distorted version of reality, and of ourselves. The final picture, of myself reflected in the televison tube was, I thought, the best depiction of that. My reflected image is distorted by the front of the tube, which is close to, but not quite flat. As well, we tend to view the television as a window on the world, but we forget that everything we watch, even the six o'clock news, is heavily edited, and as such, heavily biased.
   Needless to say, I was tickled by all of the people who commented on Matthew apparently playing the guitar left handed, as that was exactly the reason I took that picture, that way. Remember, all is not always as it seems.
   There. Happy, Dawn?

tags:
,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

too cool Paul
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

No, I doubt Dawn will ever be happy, but it's a good explenation.

Fred

Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you, dear Paul, in fact, I am happy!  Very deep...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Uh... I don't get Raven's comment... do I somehow seem like the kind of person who is never happy with anything?  Strange...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Great theme! I stopped watching the six o'clock news years ago.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry not Raven... Fred's comment.  

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Dawn, Dawn, Dawn, you don't get my comment? Marcus Aurelius, priority number one, be a smart ass, that's my mission. Your claim that ytou are not satisfied just reinforces my tongue in cheek notion that no woman is ever satisfied. Of course, that could just be a problem that's poarticular to me. ;)

Fred

Anonymous said...

I never said I wasn't satisfied, Fred.  You did.  Paul said - Happy Dawn?  Yes, I am!

be well,
Dawn