Saturday, November 11, 2006

Musings on a Saturday afternoon

   I'm working on something in the background, but it's going slowly.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

In the meantime, this is what I had for lunch today:

   Fried egg sandwich on fried butter croissant, topped with Smuckers apple jelly. A little messy, but truly yummy.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

   Played poker last night. It was bad beat night. During the first game, with the original six at our table down to four, I went all in with kings and threes. Guy across from me beat me with kings and sevens. I thought he was riding a high pair.
   After we whittled the original eleven players (across two tables) down to five, those who had gone out early started a second game. I made it into the final three in that one, and, sitting with pocket twos, made the bad decision to call the all in to my left. Turns out he was bluffing, but caught a pair on the river. Unfortunately, it was a pair of twos, which gave me trips, and all his chips.
   Ended up head to head with the host. As I was the big stack, it was really just a matter of time. He was all in before the flop, and I had nothing, but I called him anyway, because, you know, I could afford it.

...

...

I caught a straight on the river, and put forty bucks in my pocket. It's always nice to come home from a poker game and give the wife spending money for the next day.
   Of course, who knows if I'll ever be invited back.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

   I'm thinking dinner will be a plate of pasta with fresh tomato sauce. Maybe a honey tangerine for dessert. And an espresso with sambuca afterwards.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

   Gonna watch me a movie tonight, I think. I borrowed Unleashed on DVD starring Jet Li from a friend, and the wife and the boy are out for the night, so I'm allowed to watch it. Might even drink me a beer.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

   Read In Flanders Fields today. Several times. Used to roll my eyes and fidget when we had to listen to it every Rememberance Day in school, but now I am continually struck by the poingancy of it.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.


   I do think my interpretation of it differs from that of many who read it. In the final verse, we are exhorted to "take up [the dead's] quarrel with the foe." Most would see "the foe" as the army across the lines. Whoever we happen to be fighting against at this moment. I think the foe is war itself, and those whose adolescent posturings lead to it. If, one day, we are able to rise above our differences, and abolish war once and for all, we will have truly held faith with those who died, and they will, finally, be able to sleep, where poppies grow, in Flanders Fields.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

   Wow, that was kinda heavy, eh? Funny what happens when one lets his fingers loose on the keyboard with no agenda. Maybe I should try it more often. What do you think?

tags:
, ,

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say the freestyle approach works for ya, sure.  However, if my two years in Texas  has taught me nothing else, it's that people that still manage to win going into the flop  with pocket two's are really annoying. ;)

Anonymous said...

very nice Paul..:)
nat

Anonymous said...

Let loose with those fingers on the keyboard, Paul.  Fly free.

Fried eggs and apple jelly?  I won't pass judgement on something I've never tried, but I will admit that the combination would never have occured to me.

Simon

Anonymous said...

YEAH...pretty interesting...I think its sounds like a quiet night and for me...its like winning the lottery...I know many get such treasures..not sure if you do Paul...but I envy the quiet....I think a field that grew or was seasoned because of mans embrace of mans...would be a nice place to lay.........Raven

Anonymous said...

Nice comment.  You definitely should "freestyle" more - it's a great way to just see where you end up.  I do it all the time, although with much less eloquence.  Kudos.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...its all good with apple jelly!
Yes, just go with the flow more often. I agree--the "foe" is war itself. Okay, and "fast" food and "lite" beer, too.

Anonymous said...

Every time I hear the words of that poem I get emotional.  It's so simple, and yet so poignant.  And it makes me think of all the fathers and mothers, the friends, and the lovers .....   so sad and touching.  Tina

Anonymous said...

Dude, you forgot the worst of the "bad beats." (Although you weren't at that table at the time, so you're forgiven)
How'd you like to be sitting "all in" with an Ace high flush againts trip Queens and watch the river pair the board (8's) giving the other guy a FULL HOUSE!
That game would have been over a lot earlier if Cedric had not lost that hand.
Ouch!
Brent

Anonymous said...

Wow Paul, never knew you had this side to you. Very cool. Wouldn't it be marvelous if man could settle his differences over a game of cards?

Fred

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Aurora's Muse.

Catching!

:D

Anonymous said...

I love this kind of entry Paul!  You should do more like it all the time....

Btw, I hear your arteries screaming closed from the fried egg and fried butter croissant!  lol  Sounds great before you ruined it with jelly!  lol

be well,
Dawn