Monday, November 6, 2006

An ill-considered action

   I'm on my way to the grocery store. Among the items on my list are the ingredients for a really yummy bar-b-que spice melange that the family enjoys. So, I'm going through the cupboard, toting up our collection of seasonings to see what I need to buy, and I come across a small, unmarked tupperware container half full of a reddish powder.
   Unsure of whether it is paprika, or cayenne pepper, I peel back the lid, and give it an exploratory sniff. Just as I do, a synapse fires somewhere in my brain, and a vague memory speaks to me. It says, "wait, haven't you done this before?" As usual, in the race between unconsidered thought, and protective memory, the memory is one measly neuron behind, and before I can react, the insides of my nostrils, sinuses, and throat are coated with a fine dusting of cayenne pepper.
   Fifteen coughing, choking, eye-watering, nose-blowing minutes later, I am getting out a small piece of masking tape, writing clearly upon it, "CAYENNE PEPPER," sticking it to the container, and asking myself, "why, why, oh why did you not do this last time you snorted a line of red-hot, South American, powdered spice?"
   Live and learn, as they say. Well, you know, eventually.

tags:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the labels off, and live on the edge, man.  

But, if it helps, I feel your pain.  I've done that many many times.  hahaha...  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

LMAO! Okay, haven't had that one happen, but my wife will occasionally tell me, "This is terrible. Here, taste it." and like the moron I am, I oblige.

Anonymous said...

My sincere empathy, Paul.  Now you're nice and spicy lol!  CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/    

Anonymous said...

HA HAAAA...that was funny. Haven't you ever taken a laboratory science class or worked in a lab? No, apparently not. Whenever I need to smell something, the old lab habit kicks in and I waft the odor towards myself with a wave of the hand. Even if it is something being cooked and I'm told "Smell this." One good habit among the many bad ones.

Now, what's this yummy BBQ spice mix? Recipe, please. I am in the cooking mood. Doesn't happen every day so I need to take advantage of it while it lasts.

Anonymous said...

I think I would have had a memory lapse too....Cayenne pepper couldn't trigger my memory...I have some stories when it comes to another product called.."Icy hot"...enough to make a grown man cry or like a woman, sob sob with an ouch ouch along the memory lane too.....lol...-Raven

Anonymous said...

ROFL... Thanks, I needed that on a Monday! ::wiping tears from eyes from laughter:: You know it's only funny because we have all done something similar!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh Paul!  You poor thing!!!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

HAHAAHA you silly smuck! I have done the same thing. It hurts!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ouch .. Hey at least you didn't test it on your tongue.

Anonymous said...

  Believe me, acoverforty, that would have been preferable.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

lol
natalie