Sunday, September 10, 2006

What, I have a savage breast?

   Kate, over at An Analysis of Life, has listed her top ten favourite songs, and asked others to list theirs. Anyone who knows me, and my relationship with music, knows how difficult a task I find that to be. I might answer that question differently every time I am asked. Here's the list I came up with today (note that these are in no particular order):
John Barleycorn Must Die - Traffic
The Last Resort - Eagles
Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
Dante's Prayer - Loreena McKennitt
Blinding Light Show - Triumph
Epitaph - King Crimson
Last Rendezvous ("Ron's Piece") - Jean Michel Jarre
The Peacocks - Branford Marsalis
Hoop Dancer - Bruce Cockburn
   Kate also asked how strongly influenced our choices were by the music of our youth. I think an examination of the above list answers that question pretty conclusively. There isn't a song there that was released in the last decade, and nine of the ten are more than twenty years old. Heck, five of them are more than thirty years old, and two of those songs were released before I turned five.
   Note that if you were to ask me to list my favourite albums, or bands, the list would look significantly different. For example, Pink Floyd is probably in the top three of my favourite all time bands, based on their comprehensive body of work, but I can't think of a single song of thiers that I would even consider putting on the above list. My favourite albums of all time would definitely include In The Court Of The Crimson King, the album Epitaph is from, but I don't think any other song on that list would be represented.
   What are your favourite songs?

tags:
,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Y'know Paul, I've just realized something from your entry.  When doing this, I put down that I liked every one of Kate's picks, and were you to ask, I'd have to say I like every one of YOUR picks lol (don't know about Jarre tho) so I'm thinking, is there any music I DON'T like?  I even found the easy side of jazz thru Chris Botti's genius, and classical goes w/o saying. I couldn't possibly list my favorites, I have far too many tho I agree they'd all be from decades ago.  I listen to today's Alternative music and oddly enuf I like alot of it, like Coldplay (Kate scolded me for this lol).  One can't help what one enjoys.  But explain it?  Enumerate it?  Pretty difficult.  Well, long live the low spark of high-heeled boys, eh?  xoxo CATHY http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

Moonlight Mile by the Rolling Stones has been my favorite these last few weeks. I had never heard of it before. Scary, cause I love the Stones.

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I think your list is great - well apart from Jean Michel Jarre anyway. It seems that our tastes are quite fixed in our youths after all. Have a great day, and thanks for participating,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

We obviously move in different circles!  Only recognize two songs on the list and they'd never make my top ten.  But then I like songs that bypass my brain and grab me right by the heart.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

My list, were I to sit and think it out, would probably look far different than what I'm providing off the cuff here.  In no particular order:

Boots or Hearts - The Hip
Can't Keep It In - Cat Stevens
Alive - Pearl Jam
Superman's Song - Crash Test Dummies
King of the Past - Rheostatics
Sun Going Down - The Tea Party
Dragula - Rob Zombie (best LOUD song ever)
Sound Strange - Captain Tractor (local Edmonton group)
Logdriver's Waltz - ??
Turn the Lights On - Big Sugar

I better stop there.  Starting to think too much about it...

Simon

Anonymous said...

Interesting choices... mine would be changing all the time too... I may do this tomorrow... today I just can't think...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

pondering, pondering......harder than I thought. "Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn is on top of the list...."Message in a Bottle" by The Police (John Mayer also did an awesome acoustic cover of it)..."Little Red Corvette", by Prince, though that one is semi-embarrasing. "Sideways" by Citizen Cope, "Ants Marching"-Dave Matthews Band, "Lights" by Jouney...."Shackled" by Vertical Horizon...geeeez...I'm a big Buffett fan, but honestly, it's hard to put any of his songs on a favorites list, because I've heard them all so many times and they never get old, and I like them all.

-Rach