Sunday, September 24, 2006

Weekly assignment

   This week's "weekly assignment" was chosen for us by Athena Scalzi, goddess of wisdom, weaving, and crafts, minion of Cthulu, protector of Pluto, and all around cute kid.  Athena wanted to know if we liked baseball.
Weekend Assignment #130: Tell us if you like or don't like baseball (which is Athena's favorite sport), and (as extra credit) if you played it as a kid (or would play it, if you were a kid now). Write it up in your blog or journal and then come back here and leave a link. Athena thanks you for your cooperation.
   Well, Athena, yes, I do like baseball. It is one of the most interesting sports out there, but, unfortunately, in this day and age of the need for instant gratification, baseball, formerly America's Game, has somewhat fallen by the wayside. Sports fans seem more attracted to NFL football, where they get to watch sweaty, three hundred pound men brutalize each other, and then, when they are finished, pat each other on the backside; or NASCAR, where they get to watch people with funny accents drive noisy cars in circles for hours, and if they are really lucky, smash 'em up real good.
   Baseball is a game of subtleties, and people, in general, just aren't that subtle any more.

   I played baseball as a child...a bit. My parents enrolled me in T-ball when I was very young. You know, the one where there are no pitchers, and the kids hit the ball off of tees set up at home plate? I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the final inning of the final game of the season. Bases were loaded, two out. Well, I don't remember that part, but it sounds more dramatic, doesn't it?
   I was standing at the tee, trying to balance the batting helmet, so it didn't fall into my eyes, and hoist the bat high enough to get it on my shoulder at the same time, when the coach came out. He bent down and whispered in my ear, "hit it down the third base line, and run to first."
   I swung as hard as I could, hit a blistering shot down the first base line, and ran to third. Game over. Season over. Baseball experiment in the Little household over. All of my friends went on to play regular softball the next year except me. I flat out refused to join.
   Fast forward about eight years, and our local ball association has decided to start a baseball team. I say baseball as opposed to the softball they had been playing up to that point. All of my friends were very excited. We all called it "hardball," and considered it to be real baseball. My buddies convinced me to come out with them and try out.
   In all fairness, I shouldn't have made the team. All the other kids had eight years of softball experience, and I had eight years of playing soft toss in the back yard with my Dad experience, with the occasional game of positions in the school yard thrown in.

   You know what positions is, don't you? That's the game we used to play at recess and lunch in elementary school. There are four batters, and all the other players take up positions in the field. When a batter gets out, he dons his glove, and moves to the right field position. Every other player rotates around, with the catcher joining the batting squad. I'm pretty sure we called it something else back then, but I sure can't remember.

   Anyway, I was the least talented kid on the field, but the coaching staff made a decision - with the permission of the league -  to not cut any players, and run with a roster of twenty one or so guys. It was considered a developmental move, as it was our first year in the league.
   Sure worked for me, because in subsequent years I did make the team, even though there were cuts made, and eventually went from part time right fielder to starting second baseman.
   After a few years playing, I had to quit the team when I got a part time job. My new boss asked me if there were any nights I didn't want to work, and I named two nights a week, practice night, and game night. So he scheduled me those nights. I'm sure he got a kick out of it. Jerkwad.

   So, Athena, to answer your questions, yes, I like baseball. Yes, I played it as a kid, and if I were a kid again, I'd like to think I'd play it again. Heck, I've been thinking of joining a local slow pitch league. I might just be playing it again next spring.

tags:
, ,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this entry, Paul, especially the intro and your childhood T-ball/baseball history.  I never heard of "Positions" or anything like it.  Interesting!  Incidentally, the character Moochie in Moochie of the Little League made a mistake similar to yours.  Against orders he practiced switchhitting - and when he finally tried it in a game, he then ran the bases clockwise. - K.

Anonymous said...

My favorite sport to play when I was a kid was our neighborhood version of street hockey which we played on our bicycles. It was not...ummm..."subtle". Actually, it was downright Bloody.

We played another game where we shot at each other with dirt-loaded pump BB guns. Also...not "subtle".

Anonymous said...

Paul, what a wonderful letter. I almost felt like I could hear you just saying it....I played baseball too but only because it was the only sport where I was a little better than average...I was the traveler in basketball...and shame of loosing points for my team was awful...I could always hit the ball far in baseball, but I was still a left fielder....I couldnt throw a ball if you hit me on the head...It was like throwing cotton in the air with all my might,,,,but what made me fall in love with baseball was this place called Alpenrose Dairy....I had a troubled childhood and I would escape there....It has an old town built historically to resemble the old West..each building has moving mannequins and horses for the kids to ride and pigs to feed...there is this old theatre that has red velvet curtains....all the kids would go watch for free cartoons inside of this grand theatre..the owner of Alpenrose was generous...even his workers live on his land in cute little white houses,,,I would ride my bike to get away, and go watch baseball....the late night lights, crowds cheering,,eating hot dogs ,,,all in this same place...I still go there every few months and reflect..... Just last year I visited..inside of the little western buildings is a train track with little houses and people..its huge,,,can fill a whole living room,,I peaked in and watched the workers,,,they opened the doors , invited me in and talked like old friends,,whom I didnt know,,,ah,,its so emotional...I fell in love with baseball because of this place. -Raven

Anonymous said...

Aren't slo-pitch leagues also more commonly termed 'beer leagues'?  Maybe you can introduce them all to a nice London Porter.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.com

Anonymous said...

Paul, I think the game is great just for the feeling of belonging that it gives. There is something precious about a team effort.  Nice entry....Sandi

Anonymous said...

Baseball was at one time the air that I breathed. Sadly I rarely even watch it any more.
Fred

Anonymous said...

hey! Paul! why don't you take it up again!:0 seriously i bet you have adult leagues out there and it would be fun!
nat