Thursday, September 28, 2006

Songs revealed

via 42 year old loser, or am I?

   OK, it's been two weeks since I posted the iPod music meme. You managed to identify eleven of the twenty songs for which I provided the first line of lyrics. As well, several of you identified the artists for two others, but could not name the song.
   As I said before, I am not surprised. Fully half of the songs were by Canadian artists, several of which are not widely known outside of the Great White North. Below is the entire list, with the first lines expanded to the first verse. I have included links to each artist's web page. Check 'em out.


1. 
I've been around the world
I've seen a million girls
Ain't one of them got
What my lady she's got 
(
AC/DC - Girl's Got Rhythm)

2.
"When you cross that river
The trees they will bow down
The sky will open up to you
And the lark will sing your song 
(
The Rankin Family - The River)

3.
She doesn't see the coming fall
She doesn't show no fear at all
Bring on autumn moon or the driving rain
I only hope I see her face again
(
Great Big Sea - The Summer)

4.
Hey You, you lost your only friend
You can't believe your broken heart will ever mend
But every mountain has its faces that'd make you want to stop
On this so unwelcome journey from the bottom to the top.
(Great Big Sea - Something Beautiful)

5.
Our song used to be my lullaby
Now it’s just a tune from days gone by
Now it only haunts me in my sleep
And I soak my pillow when I weep
(
Jacksoul - I Remember)

6.
I don't believe it's all for nothing
It's not just written in the sand
Sometimes I thought you felt too much
And you crossed into the shadowland
(
Robbie Robertson - Fallen Angel)

7.
When morning comes to me
I see the eyes of Margaret
I see the eyes of Margaret
When morning comes around
(The Rankin Family - The Eyes of Margaret)

8.
Got the devil in you
got the devil in me
Play a dangerous tune
come on dance with thee
(AC/DC - Rock Your Heart Out)

9.
I only want what’s the best thing for you
And the best thing for you would be me
I’ve been convinced
After thinking it through that the best thing for you would be me
(
Diana Krall - The Best Thing For You)

10.
Oh, baby, it's cryin' time
Oh, baby, I got to fly
I've got to try to find a way
I've got to try to find a way
(
Led Zeppelin - Four Sticks)

11.
Today is gonna be the day
That they're gonna throw it back to you
By now you should've somehow
Realized what you gotta do
(
Paul Anka/Oasis - Wonderwall)

12.
 Hear the sound of the falling rain,
Coming down like an Armageddon flame
The shame
The ones who died without a name
(
Green Day - Holiday)

13.
 Easy selector cos I know that you're ruff
And the way you play ya tunes ya know you're musically tough
I catch your vibe and the way you carry on
An you feel say you wicked as you rock the session
(
Skindred - Selector)

14.
 Lately I've been running on faith
What else can a poor boy do?
But my world will be right
When love comes over you
(
Eric Clapton - Running on Faith)

15.
Hear the screams of Center 42
Loud enough to bust your brains out
The opposition's tongue is cut in two
Keep off the street 'cause you're in danger
(
Rolling Stones - Under Cover of the Night)

16.
I have been blind, unwilling to see
The true love you're giving.
I have ignored every blessing.
I'm on my knees confessing
(
Josh Groban - My Confession)

17.
 Soon our fortunes will be made, my darling
And we will leave this loathsome little town
Silver bells jingling from your black lizard boots, my baby
Silver foil to trim your wedding gown
(
Paul Simon - Proof)

18.
Freak out
Give in
Doesn't matter what you believein
(
Smashing Pumpkins - Cherub Rock)

19.
Jamie’s on the bathroom floor she don’t know why
She’s shaking underneath the sink can’t feel a thing
She’d love to live a life she’s afraid of failure
With all the voices in her head
(
David Usher - Alone in the Universe)

20.
He sat down with his guitar in a distant place
When a man walks up and tells him
"Buddy there are some things you cannot say"
(
Tom Cochrane - Brave and Crazy)

tags:
,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad I'm not Jamie. Eek.

Anonymous said...

I recognized a few of the artists but none of the songs.  

Anonymous said...

All hail the Great White North's music!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

interesting lyrics Paul
natalie

Anonymous said...

Hello.....In a comment you wrote to John Scalzi you wrote that Aaron Carter rocks harder than Creed I CAN'T say that I agree. Aaron Carter are you kidding ??? Creed is far better than Aaron Carter.

Anonymous said...

Paul Anka did a cover of 'Wonderwall"...thats just wrong. He reminds me of Neil Diamond. Lorelai on Gilmore Girls recently named her dog Paul Anka, and he's afriad of pees. And wristwatches. I wonder if he's afraid of songs that were best left alone...?

ciao bello
-Rach