Saturday, September 16, 2006

Another music meme

via 42 year old loser, or am I?
Step 1: Put your iPod /Tunes or MP3 player on random.
Step 2: Post the first line(s) from the first 20 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Strike out the songs when someone guesses correctly.
Step 5: Looking them up on Google or any other search engine is CHEATING.

   OK, here they are. If you think you recognise one of them, identify it in the comments thread. I did modify the list a little bit. For example, when a song from the same band came up for a third time, I skipped it. As well, there were at least three instrumental tracks that I had to skip as well, for obvious reasons.


1. "I've been around the world."

2. "When you cross that river, the trees they will bow down." -- The Rankin Family - The River - acoverforty (who cheated. don't be like him)

3. "She doesn't see the coming fall."

4. "Hey you, you lost your only friend."

5. "Our song used to be a lullaby."

6. "I don't believe it's all for nothing." -- Robbie Robertson - Fallen Angel - Cin

7. "When morning comes to me, I see ___________"

8. "Got the devil in you. Got the devil in me." -- AC/DC - Rock your heart out - Dawn

9. "I only want what's the best thing for you."

10. "Oh, baby, it's crying time." -- Led Zeppelin - Four Sticks - Dawn (Sorry about the extra word in there, Dawn. Don't know how it happened)

11. "Today is gonna be the day that they're gonna throw it back to you." -- Oasis - Wonderwall - Dawn (although the version that actually played on my iTunes was by Paul Anka)

12. "Hear the sound of the falling rain." -- Green Day - Holiday - Dawn

13. "Easy selector 'cause I know that you're ruff."

14. "Lately I've been running on faith." -- Eric Clapton - Running on Faith - Dan

15. "Hear the screams of centre 42." -- Rolling Stones - Under Cover Of The Night - Cin

16. "I've been blind, unwilling to see the true love you're giving." --Josh Groban - My Confession - Dawn

17. "Soon our fortunes will be made, my darling."

18. "Freak out. Give in." -- Smashing Pumpkins - Cherub Rock - ber144

19. "Jamie's on the bathroom floor, she don't know why."

20. "Sat down with his guitar in a distant place." -- Tom Cochrane - Brave and Crazy - Cin

tags: ,

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a clue.  Are you really that much younger than I am? Clearly my musical tastes are of different eras and genres.

Anonymous said...

I am the loser...I don't even OWN an Ipod and I also don't recognize any of these songs. I think I need to get out more!
Maria

Anonymous said...

#8.  Ac/dc  ROCK your heart out

wooohoooo!!!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

#12 Green day - Holiday

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I have other guesses but I am not as sure... so that is it for me!  Fun, Paul!!!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Oh what the hell... is #16 Josh Groban... Confession???

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

# 11 is a line in Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day - but it isn't the first line so, I am therefore, confused!

lol

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

uh... hmmmm #11....

Oasis???

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

#2  "When you cross that river, the trees they will bow down." - the Rankin Family - "the River" .. (I cheated, I really don't know any of these, google is so powerful.)

Anonymous said...

#18 is "Cherub Rock" by the Smashing Pumpkins

Anonymous said...

#1 , i've been around the world, lisa stansfeild. its the 1st line + the title if i'm right.

Anonymous said...

Definitely NOT Lisa Stansfield.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

mmnnn.......thats got me stumpt then , 'tis the only one i thought i recognised.

good litttle quizz though, cheerz paul.

Anonymous said...

15. "Under Cover of the Night" Rolling Stones
(Is that "Jamie" one from Jamie's Got a Gun?)
This is a cool meme. I'll pretend I am Dan and steal it from you.
-Cin

Anonymous said...

The first one...is that CSN?...the one with the sailboat..."Southern Cross"???

Anonymous said...

I just realized that I have #20 on my iPod, too--Tom Cochran "Brave and Crazy"--I need PICTURES, I think.

Anonymous said...

Is #14 Eric Clapton's "Running on Faith?"  

Anonymous said...

#1 is Crosby Stills Nash, Southern Cross I believe

Anonymous said...

OOPS, someone beat me to it.

Anonymous said...

The line, "I have been around the world," *is* in the song Southern Cross, but it is not the *first* line.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Hey is #6 Robbie Robertson "Fallen Angel"?? I see it written in the sand, etc.

Anonymous said...

Okay... you have the lyrics WRONG!!  # 10!!!  Led Zep  Four Sticks

the lyrics SHOULD be Oh baby it's crying time!!  NO 'the'!!!!  I am a Led Zep freak, or was any how.... your hint above made me look at it again...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

i've been spotty with reading the alerts, let alone the actual entries, but i did see the current one on "tips" so i followed your link back to this one and number one is lisa stansfield, all around the world.  i remember the video, her haircut and style and thinking, sharp!  she was searching for her baby, she didn't know where or why he'd gone away, but! she's gonna find him.  at the time, i really liked the song, and i still think it is catchy, altho now i think it has shades of stalking.  let'em go, girl!!  grins, debra

Anonymous said...

i think number nine might be diana krall (i love her 'peel me a grape') but i'm not exactly sure on that.  grins to ya, debra

Anonymous said...

paul! dude, paul simon (edie brickell made a great choice there!) for number 17, i am terrible at titles (i tend to think they are something other than what they are) but i can tell you that my favorite one of his is 'fathers and daughters' (i'm gonna watch you shine, gonna watch you glow, gonna paint a sign, so you'll always know...) debra

Anonymous said...

#9 is Diana Krall (sp?) have no idea of the title of the song .. only know it because she is the only Canadian I know who is married to a Elvis (Costello).  

Anonymous said...

i am so doing this.  i am so stealing this. for sure! i love this!
:]
thank ya paul :]
hugs,
h

Anonymous said...

wow ...tough Paul
natalie