Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Monday photo shoot

   This week John's Monday Photo Shoot is being temporarily hosted by Journals Editor Joe over at Magic Smoke. The topic is, and I quote:
Your Monday Photo Shoot: Take a photo that shows you with your camera. A mirror or other reflective surface would probably help here.

Also, tell us a little about your camera, and how you use it.

   Joe talks about the common occurence on teh internets of people taking self portraits by shooting themselves in a mirror (which reminds me of a funny story about my wife that I absolutely cannot recount here if I value my life). He notes that virtually all digital cameras have a self timer mode, which would allow people to prop their cameras on something, and get a more pleasing composition than a reflection holding a camera, yet no one uses it. What he leaves unspoken is what that says about the camera users.
   In my rebelious, conformist, yet non-conformist way, I thought I would twist this assignment a little bit by using a tripod and the self timer feature to get a picture of the camera in the mirror, with me not in the mirror. I thought I was being pretty slick until I realised that Rachael had already done it. And she's cute, which so beats my vaguely clever any day.

Self_Portrait


   The camera is a Sony point and shoot model, which I generally hate. If I had it to do over again I would buy a Canon or a Nikon any day. I definitely recommend that if you are looking at a digital camera, you not consider a Sony. The focusing system is poor. The exposure system is adequate. The battery life is horrifically bad. OK, enough griping. Go look at someone else's picture now.

tags: ,

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good picture, though. My problem with trying a self-timer is that I have no tripod, and no easy way to set up the shot (i.e.,where to stand to be in frame).  So I don't bother.

K.

Anonymous said...

But you see, Paul, cute as I may be (thank you, btw :] ) your equipment is much better, and the shot of your face even better still. Way beyond the limits of vaguely clever. Bravo!!

-Rach

Anonymous said...

Paul, nice shot...you did good.  I, too, have a Sony and like using it for outdoor, candid shots and as a backup for the Nikon.  In my opinion, the Carl Zeiss lens is a plus in the Sony.

B.

Anonymous said...

good idea there!..

I have no tripod and set it on the railing of the deck outside and tried to crunch myself down enough to be in the shot! LOL...I won't tell you how many failures before getting something I could use hahaha.. but it was fun trying!  (I wish I  had a much better digital too.. but they sure can get expensive.. and then there's all those instructions on how to use it.. duh.. mush for brains here.. I want nothing more then to point / focus/ and shoot!!  it's called being "non-techie")

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by. And more thanks for age comment...I think, unless you were being a smart...uh....a smarty pants.
Like your blog. Oh and YES the "palms" photo does have a slight resemblance, hahaha.
I won't bring up the subject of God...YET *tongue-in-cheek*
Have a wonderful blessed day *tongue-back-in-cheek* and may it spill over into your weekend!

Anonymous said...

OH WAIT....who, may I ask, is Pamela? I know, that is a dumb question "may I ask?" Of course I can ask but do you mind answering?

Anonymous said...

I'm actually quite fond of my relatively new Sony point-n-shoot.  Though I do share the criticism regarding the focus.  I eventually see myself migrating to a digital SLR some time in the future, but the Sony done good for me so far.

Simon

Anonymous said...

you look different than I pictured you. thanks for sharing it.

betty

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rachael IS cute!  But this came out quite nice Paul, very clear.  Sony not good, eh?  I'll take note - I'm looking around for my first digi-cam.  CATHY http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

Wow! I thought you still had an afro and a beard. You look totally different now!

You can't go wrong with a Canon or Nikon SLR camera but Sony is making a big push to dethrone Canon with their new Alpha line of digital SLRs. If you're interested you can read a review of the Sony Alpha <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/">here</a>.