Wednesday, August 16, 2006

J-land turns three

AOL Journals 3-Year Anniversary Badge   So, we're coming up on the third anniversary of the inception of this most excellent community we call J-land. Monday, I believe it is, and we have been encouraged to ruminate, speculate, and blogivate on the last year (or three) of blogging and journaling we have done. Here it is.

Three years ago: On August 21, 2003 I was not blogging. I was not even using AOL at the time. I was a member; have been since '98 or so, but I was using another ISP because AOL couldn't offer me DSL. I was paying AOL $4.95 a month, or something, just to maintain my account because I suspected I wasn't completely done with it.
   I had thought about blogging at some point during the previous year, or so, and even went so far as to investigate blogger.com. Never followed it through, though.

Two years ago: On August 21, 2004 I was blogging. Here, on AOL. Well, sort of. The closest entry to that date is this one, on August 24, in which I admit that I am not very "blogalicious." It wasn't looking good for AWV back then.

One year ago: On August 21, 2005 I was blogging. A lot. My stable of blogs had increased to four, including the brand new endeavour, CarnivAOL. I had recently taken a more serious interest in writing about skeptical topics, and on August 22, I started a series about my involvement with an applicant for the James Randi Educational Foundation One Million Dollar Challenge in an entry called
You say you can do what?
   The very next day I admitted to my serious addiction.

Since then: Over the past year I have blogged about my family vacation to Italy, the AOL journals banner ads fiasco, the meltdown of my old computer, Flat Scalzi and Flat Paulsie, and spent a significant amountof time poking the credulous.

   What will another year bring? Only time will tell.

tags: ,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I anxiously await the new year for AWV.  I am glad that I have found you out here in J-land.  You make me think... you make me laugh... and you give me insight on our 51st state... oops, I mean Canada!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Has repetition bred endearment?  For our sakes, hope so!  Cathy

Anonymous said...

Darn... Cathy snuck that one in... I thought I would be first... LOL

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Madness I tell ya.

Amanda :)
http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin

Anonymous said...

The last three years (for me it's two years) have been enlightening to me...I now have friends around the globe, thanks to J-land.  I'm hoping the next three will be as great as the last have been.  Sandi

Anonymous said...

dear Paul, ya blogging can be fun!
hugs,nat

Anonymous said...

funfun fun
natalie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this with us!