Monday, June 5, 2006

Not wolf

   The sky is falling! Wait, that was last week.

   Don't look for me  tomorrow, I'll be hiding out in my nucular fallout shelter. Why? Well, it's 6/6/06 tomorrow, doncha know. The
date of the beast, end of the world, or some such. I have actually read news reports of pregnant women who were worried about giving birth tomorrow asking for inductions or scheduled caesarian sections to avoid it.
   Of course, it's only 6/6/6 if you ignore the first three numerals of the year. If you are going to do that, then why didn't the world end a decade ago, on 6/6/(199)6, or the decade before that in 1986? Perhaps we can only ignore the first two numbers, because they are commonly dropped in short form notaion of the year. And then, the third number would have to be a zero. But the world was still here the morning of June 7, 1906, so that can't be it either.
   In fact, if you are going to refer to a date as having some connection to the "number of the beast," why not the real 6/6/6: June sixth, of the year six? Clearly, the world did not end on that day, either, although there is significant disagreement about when exactly that date occurred. The
Gregorian calendar, which we currently use to measure the year, wasn't set until 1542. Prior to that, the passsage of days, weeks, months and years was marked by the Julian Calendar, according to which, tomorrow will be May 24th. And, according to the Julian calendar, what we would mark as 6/6/6, was actually June 8, year 6. "Missed it by that much." Of course, that calculation is based on the revision of the Julian calendar made in the year 8 (C.E., A.D., whatever you want to call it). It had actually been adjusted several times since its inception in 46 B.C.

edited to add: Oh, yeah, let's not forget that the Book of Revelations wasn't even written until almost 90 years after June 6, year 6. There's a paradox for you. If the world had actually ended on 6/6/6, it would have ended almost a century before the prophecy predicting the cataclysm was written. Try not to think about that too much, OK?

   There are many other calendars we could look at as well. According to the
Hebrew calendar, tomorrow will be the twenty second day of Sivan (which is the ninth month), 3766. Well, there are a couple of sixes in there. In the Islamic calendar, tomorrow will be 9 Jumada al-awwal (fifth month), 1427. Isn't even a single six in there, not that any Muslims would be that concerned if there were.
   In the
Persian calendar, it will be 16 Khordad (third month), 1385, and according to the Mayan long count calendar, tomorrow will be 12.19.13.6.10. Note that the Mayan calendar does allow for a periodic destruction (and recreation) of the world, but that isn't scheduled to happen for another 2500 years, or so. It won't be June sixth then either.

   My purpose here is to point out that June 6, 2006 is an arbitrary date in a numbering system created by man that has been fiddled and fudged with over and over again across the course of centuries. Believing there is any significance to a date on the calendar is like believing you can foretell the future from patterns in the left over leaves on the bottom of a used cup of tea.
   Maybe that was a bad example.


tags:

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooo...  What you're saying is that we WON'T be raptured away tomorrow?  

Whew...  I feel happy for that.  I mean, tomorrow's my birthday and all.  Thanks for easing my fears.  

Your chum,
The Antichrist

Anonymous said...

Dan said: "What you're saying is that we WON'T be raptured away tomorrow?"

I'm certainly not expecting to be. Let's put it this way. If the rapture comes, and I'm taken, a lot of people have a lot of HUGE misconceptions about the Christian religion.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Ah, Paul you take away all the fun. We love to panic about something...Y2K, 17 year locusts, melting ice caps and going to hell. I mean something has to keep us on our best behavior.

Anonymous said...

You're going to hell for calling it 'nucular', even in jest.

No, wait, you're going to hell for mocking what will surely be a day rife with perfidy and all manner of angst that will be ascribed to the (alleged) arbitrary date of Armageddon.  Or is that Agamemnon?  I can never remember.

Oh I know, you're going to hell for being an atheist.  You're a sinner and you don't even know it.  Won't YOU be surprised when you show up in hell and Lou has a special vat of poo reserved just for your suffering!

No, no... I got it this time.  You're going to hell for blogging about your frog speaker.

That's it.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.com

Anonymous said...

hey, I believe in tea reading..it comes true in the movies and I have yet to have a tea reading (grin)..anyway, a friend of mine reminded me about this date and I'm like..what's the big deal??
Thanks for the wonderful explanation..now I get it.!
Gem :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree, the numbers of the date mean nothing and everyone is getting their panties in an uproar over nothing, however, due to the popular and religous 'myth' that exist around the numbers... I don't think I would want to have a baby tomorrow.  Thanfully, that is not an issue for me at all!  lol

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Paul,

I posted something similar to this--it focused mainly on one of the idiots that thinks they are birthing the anti-christ. I'm surprised they aren't worried that the little one will gore it's way out of their uterus via it's horns or a tiny pitchfork.

You can read what I had to say about it here:

http://daydreamed.blogspot.com/2006/05/coming-to-terms-with-inevitable.html

Anonymous said...

You missed a very significant date on the calendar, 09/13/06.... my birthday.  Send sparkly graphic birthday wishes to me at dornbrau@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Dornbrau,
  Is that the thirteenth day of the ninth month, or the ninth day of the thirteenth...

...never mind.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Along this same topic, I had gotten emails this weekend for Tuesday to be a 'world prayer day' to 'counteract' the evil.  I am all for prayer but hello?!  Real evil exists every day...not just or more so on 6.6.06  ugh

I deleted the emails already otherwise I would have forwarded them to you...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Yes, the 0 really wrecks the symmetry, doesn't it? Heck, I remember 6/6/66 (1966).  Yeah!  That was a seriously cool date, even better than 7/7/77 and 8/8/88 and 9/9/99.  Why?  6/6/66 was Joel's sister's birthday!  I guess that means tomorrow's her birthday, too.  Ol' Damian better not mess with HER!

Anyway, as far as I can tell, this has mostly been about news outlets looking for people with a fringe opinion.  

Karen

Anonymous said...

I think that perhaps, there isn't any real news, so the ol' 6/6/06 is something to latch onto.

You mean the tea leaf thing doesn't work?! I am sooo disillusioned now.

Jess
http://journals.aol.com/aurielalata/CIWTheOtherInvisible
http://awomanvisible.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

The people who believe this crap, unfortunately, won't read your wonderful post.  Since the beginning of the Christian Church, all manner of dire prophecies have been uttered about the apocalypse.  The bottom line, no one knows.  And the ones who think they know, are standing on a mountain somewhere wearing white robes, drinking sodas out of a cooler, and checking their watches. "Well, how long are we supposed to wait here? I'm gonna go find me some shade."

Anonymous said...

Sigh... It seems I'm here, so I guess so much for the date, but I do still appear to have an AOL screename, and if that's not a sure sign evil I don't know what is.
Mwu-hah-hah-ha!
Jeremy
http://culturepopped.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

the date was made up I think but do you believe that evil exists yes or no?
nat

Anonymous said...

I believe there will be an antichrist as much as anyone.  Believe in the second coming.  All of it.  To think that anyone would know the date is what is ludirous.  Our Lord said even He did not know....only the Father. What worries me is all the people in the world for whom any day will be the last day.  That so many are totally unprepared for eternity.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Paul what about bad acts? if it is your opinion that people should not hurt people why would yuo not say that  here? it's not just hearsay it's your ethics.
nat

Anonymous said...

Natalie,
  I don't understand your comment. This entry was not about whether or not evil exists. It was about how silly it is to try and attach an evil significance to a date that is arbitrarily dependant upon a calendar that is an artifact of men, and was settled upon almost 1500 years after the "prophecy" that people are referring to was made.