Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A couple of Wednesday thoughts

   At some point in the last several hours, my counter passed 20,000. That's 20,000 unique visitors, as opposed to individual page loads, which is what AOL's counters measure. If I still had my AOL counter up, it would probably read about 25,000.
   So, thanks to those of you who come by regularly to read what I have to say. I appreciate the ego stroking.

   This morning, I left the house at 6:00am, and drove two hours to Belleville, Ontario, to attend at The County of Hastings traffic court regarding
my indiscretion of several months ago. After a two hour drive, I waited patiently for the Provicial Offences Office to open, so I could speak to the prosecutor before court started.
   In view of my previous clean record, and the fact that I asked nicely, he agreed to reduce the infraction by one level, from 118km/h to 109km/h in an 80km/h zone. This reduced the number of demerit points from four to three, and the fine from $283.00 to $160.50. Now I just have to hope that my insurance company doesn't decide to randomly check my record for the next two years.

   On the way out of town after my court date, I noticed that some vandals had defaced the shaped gardens that spell out the town name on the hill beside the Highway 401. They had removed the upper and lower cross pieces from the first letter, transforming it from a 'B' to an 'H'. When the flowers grow in, they will colourfully spell out "Welcome to HELLEVILLE."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad for you, you had a judge willing to throw a little mercy your way.  Be careful driving & talking!  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Well, at least we know you were driving slow enough on the way home to notice the welcome sign :)

Anonymous said...

It's nice to know you can bargain with 'the man'. I can sympathize with your circumstance; I am one ticket away from a suspended license. I have a habit of driving too fast.

Pity.

Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Anonymous said...

I drive too fast also:-(~
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Just so long as we come to the understanding that it's nothing more than your ego getting stroked.  By us, at least.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.com

Anonymous said...

Paul, I've always got a kick out of reading your journal.  In fact, it's one of the very first journals I'd read, and when I created my own, yours was the first I put on my list of favorites.  And, there you've sat, everyday, mocking me like an first-class prostitute whose services I can't afford.

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Dan, you shure do talk perdy.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Awww
nat