Thursday, March 16, 2006

Weekend assignment

  John Scalzi is throwing a huge house party this weekend, and wants our suggestions on what music to play to kick things into gear.

Weekend Assignment #103: List the songs you'd play to kick a party into gear. You can choose up to five.

   In order to add my own flavour to the assignment, I thought I would limit myself to Canadian music. As an added challenge, I restricted myself to Canadian one-hit-wonders. So, here are my top five suggestions for Canadian kick-ass party songs.

Teenage Head--Let's Shake. A great song that absolutely everyone can dance to, no matter how inept and clumsy I, I mean they, are. Besides, every party needs a heaping helping of good, old-fashioned, teenage head.

Colin James--Chicks And Cars And The Third World War. OK, I cheated a little bit with this one, because Colin James cannot truly be called one hit wonder. But there really are only three things worth fighting for...

Trooper--We're Here For A Good Time (Not A Long Time). If you are looking for a rowdier party, substitute Raise A Little Hell instead.

The Kings--Switchin' to Glide/This Beat Goes On. The ultimate Canadian party tune. If you have never heard it, go out and find it now.

Headpins--Don't It Make Ya Feel. This great, rocking tune with a fantastic, driving guitar riff was sung by Darby Mills, a total hottie.

Extra Credit: Name the song to play to start winding down the party.
Blue Rodeo--Try. It is not possible to listen to this song without singing along; at the top of your lungs. And, because it is somewhat long, by the time you've finished singing, your beer is warm and flat. Time to go.

   The other side of the equation is, of course, party killing songs. As I know that most of you will be completely unfamiliar with Canadian music, I have included this cautionary list. Do not, under any circumstances, choose one of the following songs to play at your party.

Snow--Informer. Snow had all of the requirements to be a big hip hop/rap star. He was originally from Jamaica. Being an ex-con, he had street cred. He was white, which the record company liked, but unlike Vanilla Ice, he was cool. He was only missing one thing: talent.

Leonard Cohen--Bird On A Wire. A great song writer, but I want to talk to the person who told this guy he could sing.

Bruce Cockburn--If I Had A Rocket Launcher. A good song, but do you really want to be at a party with a bunch of really angry people?

Terry Jacks--Seasons In The Sun. A good song, but do you really want to be at a party with a bunch of really depressed people?

Celine Dion--My Heart Will Go On. I don't believe this one requires any explanation. But hey, if you want to leave me an indignant comment, telling me how wonderful you think Celine is, go ahead. It will help John know who to scratch off his guest list for the weekend.

Extra Credit: If you have played any of the above listed five songs, you will have no need for a wind-down song. Won't be anyone left to listen to it anyway.

tags:,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry Jacks...ROFLMAO!
You ninny.

Love ya' anyway,
Andi

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you don't let L. Cohen sing, you have to muzzle Bob Dylan too.  I kind of like Cohen's interpretations of his own work - especially the song you mention.  

Anonymous said...

I only recognize 2 of those songs, and they were both winder-downers!

Anonymous said...

Nothing by Loverboy or Heart? Man-o-man . . . guess I'm still stuck in the 80's