Friday, November 18, 2005

Where the hell did you go?

warningsign   If you dropped by over the last three days and wondered what was going on, I apologise for temporarily disappearing. I am painfully aware that making your blog inaccessible for a period of time is in the top two or three things a blogger can do wrong. However, I felt the need to back up from the blogosphere for a bit while a little tempest in a teapot played itself out here on AOL.
   You see, last Tuesday morning, the Majority of AOL journals owners awoke to find a new addition to their blogs. When the free AIM journals were announced last May, AOL made a big show of telling their paying customers that they had an advantage over AIM journals in that the paid AOL journals had no advertising banners on them. No longer. As of November 15 of this year, all AOL USA journals have banner advertising along the top.
   I know, you don't see an ad above my journal. I am a member of the AOL international community, and we, so far, have not been affected. I am sure that will only last so long. Once the tees have been dotted and the eyes have been crossed, and agreements are in place regarding what proportion of the ad revenue will go to AOL Canada, and AOL UK, we will see those ads as well.

   The reaction in the AOL blogging community has been predictable. A rapid and vehement response from the journalers hereabouts has the message boards buzzing, and the membership rolls of Blogger, and other free blogging services swelling with AOL refugees. I don't know if the high uppity-ups at AOL really had any idea how big a deal this would be to many of the seasoned journalers here.
   A selection of comments from around the service:
   I have been sickened and dismayed since 6:15 this morning when I entered my journal and found that it had been defiled in my absence. I have been grieving the loss of a sacred space today, when normally I would be painting and enjoying my life. I have notified AOL through every means available, and have written a couple of letters to higher ups. Remember not that long ago they asked me to participate in that article for the Washington Post.
   I believe that AOL thinks that this will be a tempest in a teapot, and soon we will all go back to writing and making them look good, and they will continue to collect ad revenues from the signs pinned to our backs.
   I have thought long and hard today and feel that I have to make a stand against something that is ugly and wrong, even though it may cost me the support system I have found here. You all mean so much to me and have become my surrogate family, and that is what makes this decision so difficult.
   I will not write in this journal again until the banner ads have been removed, and I will be blogging solely at my blogspot journal.
http://judithheartsong.blogspot.com/
                                                  -Judith Heartsong


i am angered that ANYONE at aol decided my thoughts, my life, my words are for sale

i am angered because i feel i've been forced to make a decision .. to take a stand against something i feel is wrong

the part that upsets me the most is that from the VERY beginning of aol Journals, we here at JLand have been treated like puppies attempting to play with "The Big Dogs" .. and they refused to let us play .. we didn't have REAL blogs .. they were only aol Journals .. anyone who was a part of the corporate aol giant couldn't have anything worthy of reading

because of my aol journal, i made the front page of The Washington Post .. proud that my journal had finally received some form of recognition outside of aol .. gathering from my email, guestbook and comments, i have a large number of readers who are not aol members .. they found me via the internet, some google search on lung cancer, or on some of the medical procedures i've undergone .. and now because of some decision some idiot at aol made, they've sold my journal as advertising space and pissed me off in the process
                                                  -His1Desire


   Criminals snuck into my extremely PERSONAL journal pages last night and sprayed their graffiti across the top of my PERSONAL PAID for web pages without my permission.
   This intrusion is unacceptable, unforgivable, and unbelievable.
   I am completely disguested by this corporate decision.
   I do not enjoy being blinded by Quizno's and Bank of America Ads. Their mere presense on my pages ruins everything I have put my heart and soul into.
   My journal has become a cheap flashing banner page for AOL.
   I abhor this and the beautiful thing, is that there is a grand solution.
http://intheshadowoftheiris.blogspot.com/
                                                  -justaname4me2


   My eyes have been yanked wide open by the realization that while WE pay for the service, WE are not the customers that AOL cares about.  They are concerned about their Corporate Advertising Customers.  Here we were offering our silly little monthly subscription and crumbcake, while they were pimping us out for $$$$ contracts.
                                                  -Dornbrau

Preview

   I can fully understand why everyone is so upset over this issue. AOL is selling content created by their members to their advertisers, without any recompense coming the other way. Many other ad driven blogging services offer their members some modicum of control over what ads appear on their blogs, and often the bloggers themselves receive payment, or credit for click-through on those ads. Not so here on AOL. The ads here are huge banners spanning the entire top of the journal page, and most of them feature some sort of garish, distracting animation. Many of them are ads for services which are wildly unpopular, like Bank of America, for example.
   A grassroots movement is afoot in an attempt to pressure AOL into removing the ads. Unfortunately, it will be a futile attempt. AOL desperately needs the ad revenue these banners represent, and the number of potential members that will be lost over this issue will almost certainly be negligible. They also have the confidence that their journaling tool is, by far, the easiest to use of any available. Many bloggers who leave to set up new residence on Blogspot, or Xanga, or Livejournal, will come flooding back in short order when they realise how much more difficult those tools are for the computer neophyte to use.

   What am I going to do? Probably nothing, at least in the short term. The ads are not affecting me yet. My preference is not to use AOL as my ISP. I had, in fact, left for Sympatico.ca several years ago. I returned to AOL at the urging of my wife and son, who prefer the ease of use of the e-mail system and organised content here. As well, the parental controls work very well for the sake of my eleven year old son. I am tied to AOL right now, for their benefit.
   I had recently been considering moving my blogging efforts to a different service, but for completely unrelated reasons. I am still considering it, but I don't do anything quickly, and a number of other puzzle pieces would need to fall into place before that happened. So here I am. I am sorry I disappeared this week. I promise I won't do it again. At least, not without a significant amount of advance warning.

tags:,

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going anywhere, yet. I've had another journal, on another site for a month or so now. but, if and when i leave aol, it won't be because of ads.

Anonymous said...

Yep I'm still here too.  I have another journal at UK AOL, but I still like my old journal....just because it feels like home.  Have great day...I'm to my new job..woohoo.
Dwana

Anonymous said...

>>Unfortunately, it will be a futile attempt.<<
Ah, but it is not a futile attempt.  Even if we don't get the ads removed, and I'm sure we won't, and even if we don't get any kind of compensation ... also very doubtful, I do believe we have forced AOL to accept that we are not just a bunch of voiceless account numbers that will sit by and accept what ever they toss our way and be happy with it.  I really think they will stop, even for a second, and wonder... how will our members react at this change? before they do something this drastic again.  That they are finally starting to acknowlege us, to really SEE us, that is a small victory in itself.  Their service might still suck, but at least now they know that we know they suck!

Anonymous said...

I came rushing over here to read your opipions and  you were gone! Glad you decided to explain it all. And  damn good explanation!

Anonymous said...

Paul .. "Unfortunately, it will be a futile attempt" .. i'm going to have to agree with you .. that it will be futile IF aol members are expecting the ads to be removed .. i don't think thats going to happen .. until MILLIONS of aol members quit

but nobody says i have to sit quietly by and let something happen that i don't agree with eh !!

my reaction isn't futile .. i feel better letting aol know i don't want ads on my personally created journal page .. and i'd pay more for aol IF i could be guaranteed a journal without a blaring animated banner at the top of my journal

pamela
http://journals.aol.co.uk/his1desire/JustOneGirlsHeadNoiseUK/

Anonymous said...

Surprisingly I am finding a lot I LIKE about the Blogger service. AOL Journals are easy to use, but a few Blogger points:

1. I am currently editing my template to be what -I- want it to look like. They have made up templates like AOL... but after you pick one you can CHANGE it.. Too Cool... I'm busy relearning HTML an CSS <g> I'd been meaning too, but the books I bought last summer to move my HTML 1.0 skills up to todays level had sat idle because I couldn't use most of it on AOL. This is the kick in the pants I needed to push myself.

2. I don't need a TEST journal on Blogger. I always had a test journal so that I could see what an entry looked like BEFORE I put it in my main Journal. This was two fold. One, I use a lot of pics and they aren't always predictable in AOL when combined with text, and two, sometimes I work on an entry early (i.e. my Vetrans Day entry) and then publish it on the proper day. On blogger I have a -Preview- button to check out how things look BEFORE I hit the publish button. They also have a Save as Draft option. I may still do a Test journal over there to 'play' in, but I don't NEED one like I did over here.

3. All the people moving off AOL has caused me to FINALLY dump AOL alerts and go with the much more convenient Bloglines. I know, I know, it was always a better way with Alerts often being a little wonky... but, I'm lazy O.K... and hitting that Alert button was just sooooooo easy <LOL>

Glad to see you back.... Lucky you... No ads yet, but you are right, I am sure they are on the way. I still haven't made a 'final' decision on what I plan to do with my journal and AOL. Yeah, I'm in 'waiting' mode right now. So shoot me <LOL>
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

".....Unfortunately, it will be a futile attempt....."  Unfortunately, if enough people adopt that attitude, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The "you can't fight City Hall" mentality is a major factor in creating the very anti-consumer atmosphere you deplore.  

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back Paul!

I do agree with what you have written, yet I can not sit by without saying nothing either.
I do understand being tied to AOL...we pay for 2 services. The hubby is currently working on a home server and a tight security for the kids.

I do like blogger for the functions. It takes some time for the novices, yet possible to seek help too!

I have had blogger though for a few years as a Mirror site anyway...

Will it make a difference? Nah, I doubt it.
Anyway...glad you are back!

Jodi

Anonymous said...

Very good explanation, Paul. I, however have been unhappy with this ISP for many other reasons and this was the final straw. I will read you and all my faves who choose to stay, but, after much thought, I think I'm done for a while.... Take Care, Penny

Anonymous said...

Anyone who is migrating to BlogSpot or any other blogging service is welcome to leave a link to their new location in comments to <a href="http://byzantiumshores.blogspot.com/2005/11/ugh-part-two.html">this post of mine</a>, where I'm collating a list of such links, so you can at least start off with some kind of traffic boost.

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,
Why does Aol need the revenue so much? Up to now no one has said that they desperately need the add revenue. So glad to see your blog back up.
nat