Friday, November 25, 2005

What's the password?

   So, I thought I'd see what Blogger had to offer. Blogger.com was the first blogging service I investigated several years ago when I first thought about starting one of these things. Long before anyone at AOL had even considered offering journals, blogging was a hot trend on the web. Blogger was one of the first companies to offer tools to the average user to make blogging easy to do. I joined up, and went about the process of starting a blog.
   At that time, Blogger had two options. If you had your own ftp space in which to store the files that make up your blog, you could use it, and have an ad free blog. If you did not, you could use Blogger's space, and they would place a banner ad at the top of your blog to pay for that usage. Not wanting ads on my blog, I chose the former option, only to find out that the Blogger software would not work with AOL's ftp format for some reason. I abandoned the attempt, and the whole blog concept at that time, and about two years later, started AWV here on AOL.
   Fast forward to today, and I have been fairly happy here in AOL J-Land for about a year and a half. Reading the many former AOL journalers who have moved to other services discuss the new features they can make use of that AOL does not offer awoke in me the desire to explore some of those things as well. I typed
www.blogger.com into my browser, and looked to see what I could see. My first thought was that I had already registered with blogger, albeit several years ago, perhaps I didn't need to go through the entire sign up process again. Tap, tap, tap, went my finger against my temple, trying to prod some kind of memory of what my login ID and password might have been.
   My first attempt was met with an error message saying that the login ID was not found. My second attempt resulted in an error message saying that my password was wrong. Progress! I had found the right login ID. Now I just had to figure out what my password was. I tried several passwords that I have used in various places over the last couple of years with no success, and finally succumbed and clicked on the link that says: "did you forget your password, schmuck?"
   That took me to a screen with two options. The first was to type in my user ID. After doing that, and hitting enter, I was told that an e-mail had been dispatched to the e-mail address associated with that account, and should arrive within fifteen minutes. Nope. Fifteen minutes, an hour, twenty four hours, no e-mail was forthcoming. The second option was to type in my e-mail address, and an e-mail would be dispatched with my correct User ID and Password contained therein. Here's where it gets interesting. I typed in
plittle@aol.com, only to find that there is no user in their records registered with that e-mail address. Hmph! I must have used a different e-mail address. I used to get broadband access via a third party, and use AOL's BYOA (bring your own access) plan. Perhaps I had used an e-mail address associated with that ISP.
   I tried entering a couple of e-mail addresses that I (to the best of my memory) had used back then, with no luck. Blogger still kept telling me that no account existed with those addresses. Not that I could have retrieved mail sent to those addresses, I was just curious. I was left with two possibilities. One: I had mis-remembered my old non-AOL e-mail address, or Two: the user ID I had typed in actually belongs to someone else, and my old registration from so many years ago had long been discarded.
   Not that any of this was important at all. It would be child's play to simply start a new account, with a new user ID and password, and go from there. But I was, as I have mentioned, curious. On their help pages, they have a section on login problems, and they say this:
If you signed up with an old email address that you no longer have access to, or if you made a typo in your email when registering, then you will not be able to use the login recovery functions. In this case, you'll need to write to us for help.
You'll notice that the words 'write to us' are in the form of a hyperlink.
   Now, a hyperlink made out of the words, 'write to us' might lead one to expect that link to pop up a compose e-mail window with the address already filled out. Or, one might think it would lead to a web form in which one could fill in one's e-mail address, and describe the problem one is having. The last place one might expect to be directed to, after having clicked on a link saying 'write to us' in the context of having a problem logging in to a website, is that website's login page.
   I kid you not. On the blogger.com website, there are several places where users are told, "if you have forgotten your user ID and/or password, click here." In every instance, the link provided takes one to a page asking for a user ID and password in order to log in. Am I crazy to think that there's something wrong with this picture?

4:00PM--edited to add: OK, so I'm a goof. I took a good look at the 'sign in' page blogger sends you to if you have a problem, and there is a link there labelled 'skip authentication' that allows you to access the help section without logging in. D'oh! Not all that intuitive, though (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it). But I have a new problem. I tried a different user ID, and that was accepted, too. So, now I have two valid user ID's that I do not know the password to, one or neither of which may, or may not belong to me. I think Karen's right. Starting over from scratch is the sensible thing to do here.

tags:,

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've run into the same kind of circularity on the Norton help screens and elsewhere.  Give it up, Paul, and start over, or else research a contact email. - Karen
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Come to the dark side, Paul.... You'll like it over here... Bwahahaha
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi..I'm in computer hell....my DSL will not communicate with Verizon and I have been sentenced to try to talk to Dell pod people...help. I'm on dial up right now...so trying to set up an account on another site sounds easier.  I'm to the point I'm lucky I remember my own name, let alone all these codes....Sandi

Anonymous said...

Writing your user ID and password down on a piece of paper is so low tech... Once you get the correct ID and password into Firefox, log ins become one click experiences.

Anonymous said...

I can relate. I am always changing my passwords on PayPal, E-bay, Shareholder....

Anonymous said...

See Paul, this is what keeps me with AOL. I can go to my favorite chatrooms (they are aols best kept secrets, because they are not listed in the Town Square list of perv and smut rooms)I can go to message boards and journals without having to log in and use a password for every little thing. I like the community AOL has. I find myself not wanting to go thu the hassel of having to log in to leave a comment for those J-landers who have defected from aol, it's just too much of a hassel.

Anonymous said...

Doh!

:p

Anonymous said...

about teeisme57's comment. I feel the same way. I'm not waisting my time registering with a site I have no intention of using, just to leave a comment. And most of them apparently don't even realize they can set it up to allow anonymous comments.

Anonymous said...

yes Paul! And the thing is so many passwords and user names have been registered with Blogger I could not even leave a comment! natalie

Anonymous said...

I finally pared the list of user names and passwords down to four.  No matter where I am now, I will eventually figure out which one is for which site.  Had a good chuckle over your story.

Anonymous said...

    This isn't too different from the experience I had over there.  Guess it's safer for me to stay in the same neighborhood.  Every time I attempt to venture out for a look-see, I get lost. Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

I'd start a new one. When I joined Blogger, the same month I started my first AOL journals (under ShellyS555), I found the interface difficult and I didn't like it much. Google had just bought Pyra Labs/Blogspot, but hadn't changed much yet, apparently. I couldn't figure out what to do beyond adding entries. Just when I was ready to give up, Blogger was redesigned and got much more user friendly.

It's not perfect. Nothing is. But they are, IME, more responsive to users than AOL. Via Blogger Status, a page with rss that is on a different server than Blogger, they keep folks up to date on outages or issues. They roll out enhancements regularly; they don't save them up. And when they redesigned, they took off the Blogspot ads and went for the opt-in AdSense instead. And thanks to my Blogger account, I got a gmail invite a year ago.

Obviously, I still am on AOL, but I did cancel my account. I'm piggy backing on hubby's account now, so AOL lost at least one subscription over this fiasco.

Anonymous said...

"about teeisme57's comment. I feel the same way. I'm not waisting my time registering with a site I have no intention of using, just to leave a comment. And most of them apparently don't even realize they can set it up to allow anonymous comments."

I took off anonymous commenting on most of my blogs a few months ago as one measure to combat comment spam. Word Verification got turned on next, and now, I've added the new Comment Moderation feature Blogger is offering to about half of my blogs.

My non-AOL friends and readers couldn't comment on my AOL journals without signing up for at least AIM, so why shouldn't people have to sign up with Blogger to comment there?

And yes, I have all my passwords and logins written in a looseleaf. As I have the dozen or so I need at work, too. There, I even have to log in to my computer.

Anonymous said...

A mildly humourous aside: a blog I read regularly does not allow anonymous comments. Many times I have felt moved to comment there, but balked at going through the sign up process for the service for solely that purpose. One day a couple of weeks ago I realized that I did have an account with that service already for a completely different reason, and could have been commenting there all along. D'oh!
-Paul