Monday, November 28, 2005

Christmas is coming

LED_lights   Everybody seems to like these new LED Christmas lights. They last about 10 times as long as regular light bulbs. They use less than one tenth of the energy of traditional lights. In our area, the local Electric utilities are sponsoring trade-in programs whereby you can take in a string of old lights, and receive a discount on a new set of LEDs, or, in some cases, a whole free string. What's not to like?

   I don't like them.

   I've decided not to buy them for our house. My neighbour pointed out that, while they are only slightly more expensive per string than traditional lights, the strings are shorter. While he and I can use two strings of incandescent lights each to line our roofs, he needed three sets of LED lights to cover the same distance, so, they are significantly more expensive to purchase. That's not why I'm not buying them.
   My father pointed out that, because they don't get hot like regular lights, when they get covered with snow, they stay covered with snow. The old style lights will eventually melt the snow around them, and become visible again, often illuminating the snow around them for a very pleasant effect. The LED lights stay covered with snow, and effectively become invisible. But, that's not why I'm not buying them.
   My problem with the new LED lights is that they don't sparkle. They glow with a constant and coldly efficient light that reminds me more of computers than Christmas. Incandescent lights twinkle like stars. They are Merry. LED lights are not Merry. They are... they're... well, they just are. They are not participatory. Their cold light does nothing to add the the warmth of the season.
lights   So, this week I'll be dragging out my boxes of Christmas lights from the basement. I'll be sitting down with Matthew to decide what pattern of colours we are going to put the lights into. I'll be putting up the lights, and then spending an hour poking and prodding those few sockets that don't want to light up. I'll be spending several days replacing lights that give up the ghost early after a year of storage. And later, I'll be found standing at the end of the driveway, gazing up at the house. And I'll be smiling.

tags:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate the new lights for the same reason!!! I want twinkly, sparkly, not cold efficiency!!! Penny

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more.
Put up all LED last year and was amazed how poor they looked.
What's the point up putting up ANY lights if they look like crap.
This year I put up regular lights on my new shed (it looks amazing - even impressed the wife for the first time in years - no cheap shots!).
Put up red LED's around entry way under the white soffit which results in a nice red glow (as much from the reflection off the soffit as it is the lights).
Why can they not make an LED Christmas light which looks better?
I've see LED flashlights advertised touting their brightness, so what gives?
I guess they'll come out with better LED's once sales drops off on these pieces of junk.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could use my 20 year old bubble lights without being laughed at...hey they were awesome!

My husband is the light man, I really have no say in what he purchases, I just point and he hangs them LOL.  I do agree, though, they are missing that spark!

What color theme are you going with?  I can't wait to take pics of mine, inside and out!  Red and white with touches of green outside, and blue and white is my indoor theme.  I know, not very christmasy, but when it's all said and done, I'm in no hurry to pack it up come Jan. 1st, because it's more wintery than anything....you'll see.

~V~

Anonymous said...

All twinkle, all the time here!  We use either all white or the multi-colored strands.  I use my old bubble lights on the tree...heck, they've been repaired by The Honey Do guy!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good Paul! Those remind of criptinite
nat

Anonymous said...

Huh.  I didn't know about these.  We're still looking for those crystal-like ball lights they used to make in the 1960s and have almost-but-not-quite reintroduced in the last year or two.  That is to say, there's something a little bit like what we want, just enough to to raise our hopes - and then dash them to smithereens. - Karen
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

  ( Giggling ) I pictured Clark Griswold, and am hoping that you have much better luck with your lights !   Hope the weather holds out until you get those things strung ...  Tina    http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you...those LEDs are cold...sterile... everything that Christmas should not be!  Merry merry....

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

very informative, I'll keep that in mind-thanks.

Anonymous said...

I've always been fond of those old fashioned but most likely hazardous light bulbs they used to make ages ago..the kind that are actually coloured, not transperant painted glass. The color actually has the ability to flake off....probably lead based flakes, I'm guessing...but they were real popular back in the 50s./60s I actually think some folks still have the reddish orange bulbs in their electric window candles. Very old fashioned...I like em. :)

<3 Rachel

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,  I'm here by accident. Is this a "blog"? Your story on the LED Christmas lights is just wonderful. It could well symbolize zillions of thought-forms and products that are swamping the world-marts now. Where I live in the desert lots of cabins and trailers leave their lights on all year, the old-fashioned kind. People are dirt poor but have their cozy lights. As far as saving energy goes, I'd rather wash my clothes in cold water and keep my old lights. I agree with your every word. It makes me weep when I find people with hearts like this, a true esthetic, you and those who responded.
Valerie