Sunday, September 4, 2005

Faith based initiative

   I was sent the link to this cartoon by a friend who, apparently, knows what I appreciate. For a Maritimer transplanted to Texas that I have met in person a grand total of once, I'd have to say he done good. Thanks for the heads up, Alec.
   Those of you who are offended by this cartoon will no doubt leave me asinine comments claiming that the bible is somehow authoritative, just because someone says so. Those of you who don't get the cartoon will probably leave comments calling me a misogynist and a homo-phobe, because it makes you feel better in your ignorance.
   For the rest of you, I hope you get a good chuckle over it. I know I did.

   OK. At least two people have told me they don't get it. The secret folks, is that this is just the first panel of the cartoon. You have to click on the link to see the whole thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately Millie doesn't realize that faith *is* evidence. As such it can hardly be superior, morally or otherwise, to evidence. Faith is how one can know--or is *evidence* that--another believes. The purpose of faith is not to prove truth, or justify what one wishes were truth.  Agreeing that she is representative of a solid number of individuals out there, I find this cartoon is disturbing, not humorous. Fortunately she is only able to pollute ignorant minds with this nonsense and not truth itself.

Anonymous said...

Ok, just my thoughts & just like the journal entry...no one has to agree.

Faith is believing something to be true before it is proven one way or the other and sometimes even when it has been. It does not mean it can not be proven. It does not mean it will be proven. It does not mean it will be proven correct...it could be wrong. One can even believe their faith even after it has been proven untrue.

Lets take some examples. I could have faith in my spouse that he will never cheat on me. Now that is my belief. I could have faith in him & he had the opportunity & didn't cheat. Here my faith is indeed correct. I can never find out if he would cheat if he never had the opportunity...even though he might have if he did have the opportunity. I could have faith that he would not cheat even if he did cheat & I never found out he cheated. I would still believe but others know differently. And I could have faith he would not cheat & I do get evidence he did & yet I could still say he did not.

So faith is what you believe to be true period. Some still have faith cigarettes do not cause cancer. That is their faith/belief.  

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,
The cartoon itself (figure work) has its' own appeal..which is, not serious to me and  therefore, (in jest), amusing; for one must question "faith" many times in order to finally "own " it. :):) natalie

Anonymous said...

What about that third group of people who just want to leave asinine comments in spite of the fact that you're probably not a misogynist?

Asinine comment of the day:
Homo Erectus is an inherently funny term!

Simon
http://simianfarmer.blogs.com