Friday, August 19, 2005

JREF forums reprise

   In researching for this week's Weekend Assignment, I came across this entry from last year. I wanted to revisit it here because something I discussed then has changed since that time.
   In that earlier entry I complained about the atmosphere in the
JREF forums. I said:
Why? Because nothing new ever happens. The forums, like many throughout the internet, are jammed with regulars just waiting to tee off on unsuspecting newbs. If there aren't any of those to be had, they turn on each other, criticizing each others' beliefs for no reason other than the fact they hold them.
   What has changed? several things, probably. Most notably, the (relatively) new Challenge Facilitator, Kramer, has begun an administration thread where he is posting correspondence received from applicants for the one million dollar challenge, past and present. These postings have sparked new discussions on the relative merits of each case, as well as commentary on the design and implementation of test protocols for them.
   Add to that the fact that the JREF have recently received several applications from people who were capable of and willing to follow through on testing. There have been two recent preliminary challenge tests completed, and several more are in the offing. This is an unprecedented wealth of activity in this arena.
   The third aspect of the change is with me. With a little bit more familiarity with the forum, I have learned which topics hold no interest to me, and which threads I will find compelling. In addition, I have learned what names to avoid. Trolls abound over there, and by simply skipping over topics in which I see certain posters are involved, I can maintain my own interest and peace of mind. Maybe what I'm saying is that I'm no longer an unsuspecting newb.
   If you have an interest in the idea of Skepticism, drop on byand see what's going on there.

No comments: