Sunday, July 17, 2005

Weekend Assignment

Weekend Assignment #68: Take a moment to appreciate something French. Tell us about that French thing you most appreciate. It could be anything, from a particular French wine to your favorite French filmmaker to the fact they like Jerry Lewis more than we.

   Being Canadian, I don't have to reach as far as France to experience The French. We have a whole province of them right here. The Actual French sneer at their colonial cousins, considering them not really French at all; merely Quebecois. Certainly, the language has drifted over the years, to the point where speaking Parisian french in Quebec will get you sneered at, and vice versa. To be fair, the French are not the most insufferable language snobs on the planet. That honour falls to the Swiss, who claim to speak the purest form of the French language. In reply, and I believe I can speak for most of the rest of the world, I say, "whatever."
Poutine   It is fitting, then, that my favourite French contribution to the world comes, not from France, but from Canada. I don't know who it was that first had the idea of sprinkling some white cheese curds over a plate of French Fries, and then smothering the whole thing in steaming hot gravy, but that person deserves some kind of monument.
Poutine is one of the true pleasures in life.
   Of course, many fast food establishments around North America serve something they call Poutine. Do not be fooled. The only poutine actually worth eating must be accquired from a
Chip Truck, examples of which can be found scattered around Quebec and Eastern Ontario.

Extra Credit: Been to France? Some of your vacation pictures would be nice to see.

   I did say I have never been to France, but here's a picture of a very young me trying to look sophisticated over a boule de cafe au lait in Lower Town, Quebec City.

Preview

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really doesn't look like you. You must have been REALLY young. Let's be honest though, okay the Swiss may be the biggest language snobs, but Parisians are the biggest snobs with anything else. Southern France, le Cote d'Azure, is pretty much tourist country. They love you there. Frankly, I adore them. They're so nice in Nice. ;) I've seen Paris, and yes it's lovely, and yes there's culture, but the people are enough to drive even the most agreeable girl away.

I wouldn't mind seeing Quebec though. Maybe they're nicer than Parisians, eh? Even if my broken french does get me sneered at.

Ari

Anonymous said...

VERY interesting!  TYTY And what a sophisticate...  ;)        C.       http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Bonjour!  Comment allez-vous?  Je suis tres fatiguee.... but I finally made it over here to check out your latest entry.  Whew what a week!  What a great photo taken in a memorable location!  I took quatre ans de francais en l'ecole (4 years of French in highschool) and would love to visit France someday.  Had a wonderful time on the visits my family and I've made to Canada!  

I had French pen pals back in the school days I'd love to track down someday.  The fries look like something that I'd have to steer clear of due to the the gravy... but my hubby would love them for sure and I wouldn't mind a nibble myself!  After three children though I have to save calories for my chocolate, potato chip, and cookie cravings... ice cream, the occasional fries and hotdogs or hamburger splurges.  I have a very hard time passing up these treats!  French cooking sure is wonderful and I do love the language!  Au revoir monsieur... for now....      
Lisa

http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/      

Anonymous said...

Heh.  The picture of you reminds me of a poet / intellectual I knew in college, surnamed Poe.

I thought of adding references to Quebec in my entry, but it was too long even without that.  I'm glad you covered it.  I should have known you would.  Even so, I should tell my Gaspe story sometime.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Hello again......I have never been to France. I would really like to go to France it sounds like a romantic place to go from reading what lots of people have written about it. I would really like to Quebec that sounds like an interesting place to see. I would like to see all of the wonderful places in France. I wish I were there right now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts of Quebec. I love your journal.

Anonymous said...

Loved this post - great pics and very interesting. I've never heard of Poutine before - nor disco fries. But I have have had fries with gravy - YUM! ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

So I shouldn't go and get poutine from one of the local 'New York Fries' establishments, is that what you're saying?

And on a slightly different, but still French, matter, here's a snip from a fellow Edmontonian blogger's weekend post that made me laugh out loud.  The only thing that would have made it funnier was if he could have somehow incorporated mention of the Maginot Line:

Prime Minister Chirac has officially raised the French terror alert from "Run" to "Hide". There are only two higher alert levels in France, which are "Surrender" and "Collaborate". The rise was precipitated by a recent fire which destroyed France's white flag factory - effectively crippling their military.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.blogs.com

Anonymous said...

oo la la. Tres chic. Very handsome.

And those fries look like sheer artery clogging bliss. :)

<3 Rachel

Anonymous said...

Ohhh ..... Tres Continental !    Tina

Anonymous said...

Kissing.

Paula