Friday, July 22, 2005

Weekend assignment

Weekend Assignment #69: You've been hired to create a whole new ice cream flavor that's never been thought of before (so far as you know). What flavor do you create? For this assignment you can pick any flavor -- or combination of flavors -- that you like, but, you know, try to make it something that you'd actually want to eat. Also, try to give it an ice-creamy name, like how Ben & Jerry's chocolate and cherry ice cream is called "Cherry Garcia." Mmm... Cherry Garcia.

Extra Credit: Oh, fine. Create an utterly inedible ice cream flavor, too. Try not to make it too gross, and definitely don't make it a TOS violation. But it can include ingredients that you wouldn't really put into food. Usually.

   I sat and wracked my brains for some time trying to come up with an assortment of ingredients that would make the perfect ice cream. I finally realised that there is only one ingredient in the perfect ice cream. 
   My ice cream recipe may not be entirely original, but I don't know if it has been done commercially to this extreme before. Start with chocolate ice cream. Not just any chocolate ice cream, but the thickest, richest, creamiest, chocolatiest ice cream you can make. Add chocolate chips. Not the shaved chocolate bits that you usually find in a chocolate chip ice cream, but the big, drop shaped chips you use in homemade chocolate chip cookies. Mix in a generous helping of chocolate fudge brownie chunks; the richest, moistest, fudgiest brownie chunks you can find. Through it all, run a swirl of chocolate syrup, just like you would find drizzled over the finest malt shop sundae.
   What would I call it? Well, descriptively, it would be Chocolate Chocolate Chip Chocolate Fudge Brownie Chocolate Sundae, but that seemed a little unwieldy, so I asked my wife what she thought. She didn't even hesitate. My ice cream is called Better Than Sex.

Extra Credit: Creamed Corn Au Gratin. Mmm.

July 23, 6:40pm. Edited to Add: I was perusing Olddog299's entry, and was inspired to create a new flavour as a tribute to Canadian legislators. I have combined peach champagne and pink bubblegum flavoured ice creams in a delicious mixture I call Gay Marriage.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! That is great! Both of them!

Psychfun

Anonymous said...

You get to a certain point in your relationship and sex can be easily replaced by chocolate - but that sounds like tooooo much chocolate even for me!

Anonymous said...

My daughter would love the "Better Than Sex" but she's too young (to me) to know for sure....:-P

Anonymous said...

I've actually eaten something similar. Instead of ice cream, it was cake and it was called "Death By Chocolate."

Ari

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize until after I went to the freezer for a sugar free Fudgsicle (R) that I was doing so to console myself for not being able to get some of your ice cream.  I want it.  Now.

Karen
http://journals.aol.com/mavarin/MusingsfromMavarin/entries/1909

Anonymous said...

Mmmm sign me up!

Be well,

Dawn

Anonymous said...

Yummers, but I would call it Just Like...  And the Aucream doesn't really sound bad either.  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm!!!! ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

Death by chocolate is right! Wow!
-Cosette
http://journals.aol.com/pandorasbazaar/PandorasJournal/entries/439