Friday, June 24, 2005

I am a guest editor

   I spent yesterday gleefully composing this entry, happy as a pig in...well, you know what. I awoke this morning to find news had broken overnight that makes this totally insignificant. Please go visit Pamela right now, and give her your strength and support.

   And then, you know, come back here.




   I'm verklempt. Give me a minute. Talk amongst yourselves.

   I have been given the great honour of being this week's Guest Editor, and making the picks for the six journals to be featured on the
main journals page for the next seven days. I'm tickled. Yes, I was verklempt. I'm over it.
   I know some of you have speculated that this is simply Journal Editor Joe's way of getting out of doing the work. I like to think that Joe is just so busy working behind the scenes on building and improving our journals community that he plain doesn't have time to read blogs on his own. During our correspondence over the past few days, he made reference to a couple of new initiatives he is working on that sound very interesting, so stay tuned to
Magic Smoke for all the developments.
   A little about myself, perhaps. As a start, you could check out the 100 things about me entry, although you may leave there feeling little further ahead. I am 40. That's an average. My brain still thinks I'm twenty, but the rest of my body feels sixty. I am a married father of one, and a Canadian. Don't hold that last against me, we really are nice people. Just ask the French. My birth stone is amethyst, my astrological sign is Aquarius, and my totem animal is the sloth. Right now I am reading Norstrilia, by Cordwainer Smith.
   One of the things that attracts me to a journal, or blog, is the quality of the writing. I love reading the writing of someone who has a facility with the language. Sometimes a good story can be ruined bybeing poorly told. Conversely, a mundane story can be very engaging if the storyteller is talented. The six journals featured this week attracted me because their writers use language in an interesting, or engaging way.
   Before I get to the journals, let me say this, because panty knottage is not an unknown phenomenon. These picks are not numbered, and the the order in which they appear is random. I made a list of eight or ten journals/blogs. Joe and I discussed them, and these six were chosen from that list because they best fit the theme I had chosen. Their final order is simply the order Joe wrote them down in his last e-mail to me. They all equally qualify as this week's editor's pick.



Simian_Farmer   I've been hanging on to this image for months, looking for the perfect time to use it. Ladies and Gentlemen, that time is now. The man in that picture is Charles Darwin. The monkey is his grandfather. Wait. I'm sorry, that belongs in another post. This post is about a man who does not own a monkey. A man who is not a farmer. A man who is easily amused. 
   One day, Simon Fraser typed his name into a word document, and the spellcheck told him it was incorrectly spelled. It suggested Simian Farmer as the correct spelling, and history was made. Well, maybe not history, but it turned into a cool name for a blog.
  
Simian Farmer is a collection of whatever the heck is flitting through Simon's head at any given moment. That can range from pictures and posts about his insufferably cute one year old, to discussions on the nature of God, to stories about scaring the snot out of his neighbours by trying to see just how high he can make the flames from his backyard bonfire really go. Funny, yes, but it is his choice of words, and how he strings them together that keeps me coming back. That, and the fact that he knows things about me that I would prefer my wife never found out.



argument   The next journal is a bit different in that it is not written by a single person. It is hosted by Jodi, who has several journals full of her own writing, but it features articles written by guests, who are invited to speak to a specific topic. Each topic on
Point & Counterpoint is addressed by two writers, one a man, and one a woman. Reading the two viewpoints on each topic illustrates how different men and women really are, and how similar. Jodi says she has a great topic saved up for me, and she's just trying to line up the perfect person to write the counterpoint. I'm a little bit afraid.



   Dornbrau has a bit of a problem with toilet paper. It seems it keeps disappearing out of her washroom. I think it's ghosts. She has her own suspicions, and reading about her adventures tracking down the offending oompa-loompas keeps me chuckling daily. Dorn has the ability to see the humour inherent in everyone's everyday life. If you have an unbreakable addiction to quality coffee; if your housekeeping skillz aren't quite up to par; if you don't subscribe to the myth that ladies never pass gas, then the
Dust Bunny Club Of North America just might be the place for you. I know it's the place for me.



   Our next selection, at first glance, might not fit into my definition above, as I've never seen him use words. Yes, that sentence was intentionally misleading. The truth is, I've never seen him use the word: word. He spells it werd. Weird, eh?
Slack Back Mack--the log contains the views, and the muse, of one Slac, a self described natural filosofer, writer, and artist. Slac's use of the language, which is his own personal brand of English, is unique and creative, and I find it intriguing and beguiling. There, is that enough adjectives?




   The challenge of making a mundane existence interesting to readers is multiplied when thatexistence consists of deciding whether to play euchre or bingo on a Thurday evening, and discovering that eight hours of sleep is more than enough for three nights. Chuck Ferris is almost eighty, but his mind is as quick and as sharp as a man of seventy-eight. He is a World War II veteran, and a retired school teacher, and as alive, and vital as anyone I have ever come across. His journal,
Dribble, is filled with wisdom and life experience, as well as daily slice of life stories served up with mischievious humour, and wry self deprecation. When he starts talking about which are the prettiest cars in the parking lot, just smile, and nod politely until he, you know, comes back.



   Rebecca and I have been arguing for months about the nature of poetry, and whether or not what she writes is it. Being the pedant that I am, I broke out the dictionary definition of poem:


A verbal composition designed to convey experiences, ideas, or emotions in a vivid and imaginative way, characterized by the use of language chosen for its sound and suggestive power and by the use of literary techniques such as meter, metaphor, and rhyme.
I don't know if I won or not, but she stopped arguing. Thankfully, she didn't stop writing. In The Shadow Of The Iris could be just another journal by a single mother of two teenage girls trying to make her way in an inhospitable world. It is the writing that elevates this one well above the madding crowd. Although she writes it as prose, she can't hold back the poetry leaking out of her soul, and Shadow Of The Iris is filled with emotive, picturesque language. Take, for example, this line from a recent entry:
Now, I'm pretty certain my butt does a bit more wiggle than that, but it's close enough, or until I find a better one, or get so dizzy I pass out!
Um, maybe that wasn't such a good example, after all. Tell youwhat, just go there and poke around a bit. I guarantee you'll want to stay.



   There you have it, the six Editor's Picks for this week. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Before I go, I would like to mention a few other interesting journals and blogs that I read regularly, but didn't quite fit in with the theme I had chosen.

The adventures of Accordion Guy in the 21st Century. In the About This Blog section, Mr. Joey DeVilla writes: Back in high school, after reading Space-Time and Beyond for the umpteenth time and drinking one too many zombies with my friend Henry Dziarmaga, we came up with the theory that in the infinite set of universes -- the multiverse -- there was one particular universe in what happened to us right here was being watched as a TV show over there. We then made a solemn vow to live in such a way that we kept our ratings up. To this end, Mr. DeVilla, a Torontonian, decided that henceforth his trusty accordion would always accompany him in public. Yes, you read that right. For the last ten plus years, Joey DeVilla has never gone out in public without his Accordion. Apparently, it works better than that guy with the name tag.
   Now Joey's getting married. Nobody knows if Accordion Guy will survive.

Pharyngula. PZ Myers is a professor at a Minnesota university, an evolutionary biologist, and an outspoken blogger. He is a champion of common sense and critical thinking, and an example of what scientists should be: outgoing, gregarious, and determined to demystify science to the general public. One of his most recent posts begins, "We need to appreciate beer more." How can you not like the guy?

Bad Astronomy Blog. On the same topic, Phil Plait is an astronomer, a skeptic, and a writer, who got so annoyed with hearing people saying silly things about space that he started his own web page, Bad Astronomy, to debunk such outrageous claims as the moon landings were faked, and the solar system was going to be torn apart by a mysterious Planet X. I don't know if he has weighed in with his opinions on beer.

   And last, but not least, I would like to welcome those of you who may have made their way here via this week's posting of
The Skeptic's Circle at Anne's Anti-Quackery And Science Blog. If you are a bit put out at not being able to comment without signing up for a free AOL Instant Messenger account, I apologise. I honestly have no control over it. Check out the comments and contact info link in the left sidebar for more on that. And to you AOLers who may be unfamiliar with the concept of a blog carnival, click through to Anne's and see what it's all about.

   Come to think of it, this post is almost a blog carnival in itself. That's it, the AOL journals weekly Editor's Pick carnival. Sounds more fun that way. I know I've had fun, and I hope all of you have. Thanks a bunch to our Journals Editor, Joe, for letting me run with the ball this week.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Paul!!! And you featured Dorn!!!! Yay!!!!
I'm happy for you, although this thing with Pam has taken the wind out of my sails today :(

Anonymous said...

Congrats Paul!!! Simon and Dorn and Rebecca....outstanding choices! BTW, when I saw the subject line, I thought perhaps The Scalzi had tagged you to guest edit Whatever, but this is even better!!! Gotta go see Dribble now....Penny

Anonymous said...

Paul !! you little devil you !! first of all, your beginning words have touched my heart in a way you may never realize .. thank you Paul, for being the kind of person i proudly call friend
and secondly
a HUGE congratulations on this worthy title !!  i can't believe my 2 favorite male journalers actually get to be the first 2 guest editors !!  you must be so proud .. i know i'm proud of you !!
and third .. thank you again for being my friend
pamela

Anonymous said...

I blew my broadband cable last night and am struggling with dial-up for the time being.  Glad I stopped by here though.  Congratulations Mr. Editor, and THANK YOU~  Wooo hooo!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS PAUL!
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU. AND REALLY HAPPY TO SEE DORN FEATURED! HOW COOL!
KIM.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being the new Guest Editor, and for offering your support to Pam :)

Dan

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

Anonymous said...

Indeed>>>congratz! And thanx for the Bounce...
[i werk @ werds & thus you haf. Plus+, this new
Medium requires Voice abof iteration. OR~some
such filosofy] chekyalata

Anonymous said...

Paul, you are a natural for this!
Chris
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/Inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/MyJournalJarSaturdaySixetcanswer

Anonymous said...

wow, I am impressed with this list and your thoughtful take on each of these journals....Congratulations Paul, great job on this weeks picks.  Nice to see some of my favorite journals finally featured  :-)

~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

Paul,
  Congrats on a much deserved Editorial Position! Enjoy your week on the grand stage and yeild your position of power for the good of Mankind :o) I see many interesting journal to go explore, and you know me, I love nothing better then a creative mind and quick wit with the words.
  Thank you for sharing one of my more profound sentences from my journal! Now, that is poetry. It's visual, hence the butt and wiggle part, it's vivid and detailed i.e. dizzy and pass out, all wrapped up with a flair of exclamation at the end. That should get people clamoring over to my journal in case there's a good butt picture to illustrate. LOL still can't believe you added that!
Thank you for including me amoung all these other talented writers. I really appreciate it.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Oh My!
Paul...First let me say, Congratulations on the Guest Editor Honor! Well deserved! When I first found AOL Journals Your journal was one of the first I had read and you stuck. LOL. If there be a writer's talent I admire, an individual's thought process I find inspiring, that would be you. Secondly, Thank you, Thank you! I did my Happy Dance. Okay that out of the way. I am deeply honored that you picked Point&Counterpoint. I am actually at a loss for words. {yeah I know surprises me too}. If I could I'd give a big HUG! I appreciate your kind words. As I speak for ALL of those writer's out in JLand who have written for the Journal and those who have offered! Third? Be afraid, be very afraid! Hee hee...Kidding. From what I have read, you will take it and run. I am anxious to send it to you. Okay enough babble from me! Thank you!
Honored
Jodi

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being the Guest Editor. I enjoyed your picks!

Carolyn
http://journals.aol.com/shelt28/MyLife

Anonymous said...

Great Entry!
Thank you for the recommended journals, a few will be new to me.
Congrats to your and your journal!
I was sick to hear about Pam this morning in Hippies journal.
Off to check out your picks...

Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer/

Anonymous said...

Congrats Paul....your writings are always interesting.  I'm so glad that you chose Dorn & Rebecca to highlight, they both delight me with their journals. I look forward to reading the others too....I love this way of choosing the journals, Joe made a great decision to have a guest editior...love it.. I tried to leave some words of comfort for Pam, she has so many people that really like her if good wishes would do something she would be immediately cured...Sandi

Anonymous said...

What better to do on a Friday night but stop by a Canadian journal, say hello to our guest editor and drop you a nice comment.  Sounds like great choices for journals of the week... but then I know nothing about editing but do love to read and write... especially in my blog!  I'll be looking forward to stopping by and checking these other blogs out.  Nice stopping by yours too.  You have a great sense of humor in your writing which makes for easy and enjoyable reading.  I scrolled through a bit and must say I'm happy you're going to heaven!  I'll have to take that quiz and see whether my eternity is doom and gloom, pearly gates or indefinite suspension in no man's land.  Happy Friday,
Lisa

http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/  

Anonymous said...

congrats and very good choices!!!! judi

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being the second guest editor!

Ari

Anonymous said...

Congrats Paul and you did an awesome job with your picks. We'll never here the end of this, will we? LOL

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being this week's guest Editor! Of your 6 picks I already have 4 on alerts <LOL>, but am on my way to check out the other two and all of those extras at the bottom! I think Joe has made 2 very extraordinary picks for his first 2 guest editors... Oh, and how cool that Dorn FINALLY gets to be an Editors Pick <eg>

Anonymous said...

Congrats and job well done.   (from just another one of the single mothers in the maddening crowd).  

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Paul.  Interesting choices (I refrain here from griping about not getting at least an honorable mention).  I can see I have some reading to do.  And hooray for Chuck Ferris, even when he cruises the parking lot!
Karen

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Good set of recommended blogs and Jounrals.

Anonymous said...

Paul, this is a great entry.  You have picked fabulous journals, and your style is SO like mine :) I love ya Paul!
Hugs,
xoxo
Heather

Anonymous said...

Great picks Paul!

I saw some that I had never seen before and its awesome to see some that we all read. You did a great job!

But I must complain they NEED TO STOP posting hot pics on that front page. Gosh, they never learn. ; )

Brandi

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed the picks you have made for this week.  THANK YOU for leading us to these awesome writers : )  My alert list grows and grows, how will I ever keep up.


Much Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the linkage Paul.  Though I find it mildly disconcerting that you somehow seem to be aware that not only do I wear panties, but that they sometimes get into knots.

Simon

http://simianfarmer.blogs.com

Anonymous said...

Well done! :-) Sassy

http://journals.aol.com/sassydee50/SassysEYE

Anonymous said...

I also meant to mention that I have a very similar 'Circle of Friends' on my dresser in the bedroom.  Neat.

So, like, is this now your final version of the Aurora Walking Vacation motto?  Or are you going to be fickle and keep changing it like I do?

Si.

Anonymous said...

Paul, you kick ass!!!  Seriously man, this entry was great!  I am so glad you featured Dorn, who so deserves it!!  

Panty knottage?  I bet I know someone who is in uproar right now, and I can bet we hear about it shortly.  LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Mr. Paul!! ;)
~ Promise

Anonymous said...

Oh Paul what nice things you said about me and my blog DRIBBLE.  You must read a very lot.  bless you

Anonymous said...

congrats studley, on being the roving guest editor at lrge - I am pleased, and none too surprised that you were asked.

Your selection this week is brillant! it satisfies that sweet salty caffeine chocolate urge we all have from time to time..

and such a wonderfully gentlemanly caring gesture to open the door for pam first - she needs all the support we can give here now...such trials we all must face from time to time, eh?



Anonymous said...

Hi Paul!  Thanks for stopping by my journal!  I love making up words and assigning meaning to them also!  We have one in this house my mother always used that stuck called "wooger."  That's the larger fuzzies and stuff on the carpet you tell your small children who have nothing better to do to pick up before you vacuum.  Try it out sometime.  My kids look at me with big round eyes and think about that funny word, and then they do just that: pick up all the woogers.  Hugs,
Lisa

http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/  

Anonymous said...

Wow this is a nice switch to find the person who actually makes the picks and then tells one about their journal and perhaps a little about them.  Of course reading their journal one gets to know them better and better.  I love the name of your Journal Aurora Walking Vacation.  Thanks for doing such a wonderful job with your assignment.

Marlene-PurelyPoetry
http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

I am in love with your journal... and I can't stop looking at your picture in your about me section...it is quite hypnotizing!  :)   Robin

Anonymous said...

Wow, Paul!

That is cooler than getting Yoda on the Star Wars personality test!
:D
Seriously, you are a wonderful choice for this task.
Have fun and enjoy!
:)
Loretta

Anonymous said...

congrats studley, on being the roving guest editor at lrge - I am pleased, and none too surprised that you were asked.

Your selection this week is brillant! it satisfies that sweet salty caffeine chocolate urge we all have from time to time..

and such a wonderfully gentlemanly caring gesture to open the door for pam first - she needs all the support we can give here now...such trials we all must face from time to time, eh?
DITTO! I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF FLORILLA....I CAN'T HELP SHOUTING, PAUL, I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU ANS I TRIED TO EMULATE YOUR 100....COURTENAY
http://journals.aol.com/courtenaymphelan/saturdaysix/


Anonymous said...

have you thought about it?  first you find your lifestyle is indicative you have acieved heaven,,,bruce and i only made it to purgatory...Now you are the Guest Editor...what more can the future hold? courtenay

Anonymous said...

I couldn't think of a more appropriate choice for guest editor than you Paul. Congrats... and thanks for the tip on Pamela... sending her good vibes and strength as we speak. You made some awesome selections. My... my the research you must have had to conduct. Once again... great go mate!
Michael