Friday, July 1, 2005

Happy Canada Day

   I haven't done one of John's Weekend Assignments for several weeks. This week he's doin' that Haiku thing again, so I couldn't resist.
We're right up on the July 4th Weekend (Monday off! Whoo-hoo!), and rather than give you something too complex and involved, I figure you'll want to be off waving sparklers and blowing up fireworks and otherwise celebrating the freedoms you enjoy as Americans. So here's a simple Weekend Assignment:

Weekend Assignment #66: July 4 Haiku! A 17-syllable holiday poem, please! 
   The July 4th weekend is one of the biggest holidays on the calendar south of the border. No, not Mexico. I'm in Canada, I mean you 'Mericans. However, instead of calling it just The July 4th Weekend, I think it is important to use its proper name. Happy Independence Day, America.
   Up here in Canada, we have a holiday about the same time. Three days sooner, actually. July 1st is Canada Day. we used to call it Dominion Day, as it is the anniversary of the day, in 1867, that Canada became a Dominion; a separate political entity from Great Britain. Of course, because most people have no idea what a Dominion is, or think it is just a grocery store, the name was changed some years back to Canada Day. We have fireworks that day, too.
   If you don't mind (pretty sure you won't), I'll make my Haikus about our holiday. Happy Canada Day.


Not Dominion DayPreview
Not for a few years at least
Bon Jour Canada


Bold on white background
Flapping lazily on high
A red maple leaf


Three days earlier
Than our American friends
Fireworks tonight


Extra credit to follow...don't touch that dial.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done!   http://journals.aol.com/pixiedustnme/Inmyopinion/entries/1142

Anonymous said...

I am here to say thank you for being here inside of good old journal land..for without you what a loss it would be.
jo..Mistaculangel....

Anonymous said...

    Hey, Paul.... I'll be down here in California celebrating my Canadian heritage, too .... Enjoy !!   Tina

Anonymous said...

Love the second one
And the flag image intrigues!
Oui! Canada Day!

-Karen

Anonymous said...

Love this. Very interesting too. Happy Canada Day to you! ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

I like the graphic! A patriotic Canadian...who'd a thunk it? ;-) Sassy

http://journals.aol.com/debbted/SassysSecondWord

Anonymous said...

nice one

http://journals.aol.com/sinnermeetevil/Myfamily

Anonymous said...

Very interesting!  Happy "Dominion" Day!!

-C-

Anonymous said...

very nice, especially the last 'ku!  :-)

~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

Very nice...Oh Canada, Oh Canada...                     C.

Anonymous said...

Very nice....you did three...I only did one...but it was my first...Always loved the red maple leaf....Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/PoeticJourneyOfTheSoul

Anonymous said...

Not only did I just read a great haiku, I learned something. Great haiku.
~~@Jade@~~

Anonymous said...

you are great...courtenay at these happy days to you and yours

Anonymous said...

Paul, sweetie, when I think of Canada (or Dominion) Day, I think of 1867, the year of Canada's confederation, not 1865.  And my husband says he heard on the radio that Dominion Day wasn't celebrated until 1879 (and since it was Q107, it must be right :))  

Hope you had some nice backyard fireworks.

Paula

Anonymous said...

great haiku, I just might take a crack at it myself on my own blog. Im  getting ready for a touchup on my'paintjob!" lol.

Best,
marsha

Anonymous said...

Well then, I hope you had a great Dominion Day!  My celebration today is a little luke warm as I have a sick child and Dickidoo is being a dickidoo....  I think I'll leave him to babysit the patient while I take the rest of the family in search of some fireworks.  No sence all of us being miserable!
Nice haikus by the way.

Anonymous said...

Paul!  They were awesome!  Happy Canada day!  I loved it!  You are such a great writer!!!

Thanks!
Dawn