Friday, June 3, 2005

Another interesting lesson

   I have mentioned before that I like interesting beer. To date I have tasted and reviewed 95 different beers at The Man Room website. My latest foray into the craft beer world led me to taste Millstone Lager, from the Nigara Falls Brewing Company.
   Before popping the top on this beer for the first time, I noticed that the word Trappist appeared on the label, directly below the name of the beer. Now, in the beer world, Trappist usually refers to a
distinctive style of ale brewed in Belgian abbeys by Trappist Monks. Belgian ales traditionally have a unique fruity and spicy characteristic. Many tasters will detect banana, apricot, and cherry-like flavours, as well as a hint of cloves, and sometimes orange rind or coriander. Certainly an unlikely thing to find in a traditional American lager. Upon tasting the beer, I did, indeed, detect hints of fruity sweetness, cloves, and spice. A very unique and interesting beer to be sure.
   A couple of days later, I was putting some more beer into the fridge, and discovered that the label of the Millstone Lager did not, as I had originally thought, say Trappist on it at all. It said Trapper. A little internet investigation led me to the conclusion that the beer had recently been re-branded, and that Trapper Lager was simply the old name. Niagara Brewing had kept it on the label to provide some continuity for those who had enjoyed it in the past, and it refered to the beer's North American heritage, not to any imagined connection to Belgian monks.
   Imagine my consternation when, upon tasting the beer again, I found that there was no trace of the Belgian ale characteristics I had previously detected. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it is a darn good beer, and I gave it a strong rating in my review of it. But, my initial tasting experience had been completely coloured by my expectations based on misreading the label. I tasted flavours that were not there, because I expected them to be there.
   The mind is truly a strange and wonderful place.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW ARENT YOU CREATIVE BEER TASTING LESSONS WHAT A JOKE

Anonymous said...

Wow Paul...I see the creme' de la creme' of comments have judged you and found you wanting... @@ . I find this really interesting from the perspective of what your mind tells you as opposed to what you are telling your mind... not nearly as eloquent as you, but hopefully you get my drift. Penny

Anonymous said...

My mind gets really interesting after 2 Smirnoff Black Ice Beers...lol

Anonymous said...

Sure wish I liked beer.  On a really hot day, it sounds like such a treat.  Oh, well.... guess I'll stick to my gin and tonics, extra lime, please........ Tina

Anonymous said...

The mind really is a interesting and wonderful place. So much to discover, so many area's to test out. Including those placebo type moments we all experience. I fear, not enough attention is paid on a day to day basis, to the wonders of something we all possess.  *Sigh*
I'm glad the overall experience, tasting, was a fine one for you anyway!
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

We must be on the same wavelength, posting about beer on our blogs.

Niagara Fall Brewing Company makes a great beer called Gritstone which is one of my top favourite beers. It has the distinct texture of sand and lime. Seriously though, you'll have to try it. I'd be interested in hearing what you come up with in terms of tasting notes!

Now, how are your wine tasting skills or dare I ask?