Monday, May 2, 2005

Improved usability

   AOL has improved the way they display journal archives. When you click above on the link called 'older entries' you are taken to the current month's archive. In addition to the familiar list of entries from the current month, there is now a calendar showing which days of the month have entries, a list of previous month's archives, and a handy link to each journal's very first entry. The only thing that is not necessarily obvious right off the bat is the ability to click on the set of arrows to navigate forward and backward through the calendar months, and below that, through the various different years, if the journal is that old.
   This is a much appreciated upgrade here in AOL journal land, as navigating the archives used to be one of the clumsiest things about the service. Hopefully there are more positive changes to come.

   An interesting side note: My journals have a journals.aol.ca address, and the main page link to the archives is still labelled 'older entries.' On journals with journals.aol.com addresses, that link now reads 'archives.' I have no idea why, but I presume that change is coming for me as well. In the meantime, have fun exploring my archives.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is pretty cool.  For one thing, it made it easy to add up the number of journal entries I've written to date: 455 since 3/22/04.  Wow! - Karen

Anonymous said...

I love the new upgrade.

Anonymous said...

I like the change!  I read Karen's comment too, and realized this is also a good feature to know exactly how many entries you've written as well, although I've numbered mine since the getgo.  

~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

 

Anonymous said...

"Meet the new boss,
Same as the old boss."
   -the Who

Anonymous said...

Paul, is that pic of you? and why are you upside down? lmao you are such a goofball! Oh yea, back to the subject at hand, yes, I like the new archive thingy, but I still want a spell check.

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

Strange the "older entries" label.
Gets stranger though as I checked a few AOL UK Journals and they got the archive update, but the label on AOL UK Journals is "Previous Entries".

It's related to origin of AOL service as you can swap out the .ca for .com and vice a versa. When I viewed my own Journal with .ca, I still kept the label "archives".

Anonymous said...

Cool!! Thanks for identifying the change!! Penny

Anonymous said...

The file name of the new sidebar photo is especially apropos.

Simon
http://simianfarmer.blogs.com