Sunday, May 15, 2005

Bombastic adoxography

   This is an entry in the Judith Heartsong May Artsy Essay Contest. This month's contest involves composing an essay making use of at least three uncommon or obscure words selected from a list of thirty-three provided at Judi's journal. I managed to incorporate all but one of those thirty-three words. Can you determine which one I left out?

Blogging: The reading and the writing.

   The Internet neophyte, engaged in the arduous process of exploring the expansive blogging, or journaling community on the world wide web, will come across a wide spectrum of writing. One can find anything from bombastic adoxography to informed, incisive commentary. The morass of malapropism can be very deep, as can the incidence of outright fallacious material. (Typing that sentence, rather than saying it out loud, greatly reduced my fear of mytacism
.)
   As an example of the former, I recently had cause to
titter when I came across a blog in which the writer was expounding upon an event which he said had 'tested his metal.' His mastication of the English language continued when he confided to his audience that he might belong in a 'stray jacket.' I hope he is able to track one down. In his closing, he referred to 'rose peddles.' He never did say what it was she was selling. Although his readers probably understood his connotation
, I prefer to see the English language wielded with more precision.
   In the latter case, one need look no farther that those who advocate the addition of the theory of 'Intelligent Design' to the high school science curriculum in the United States. If the Christian right wants to lobby for the inclusion of religious dogma in the nation's public school programs, then they should be calling it what it is. The position that Creationism or Intelligent Design are valid areas of scientific study is
farcical. I tend to avoid the subject, as it leads me to an overuse of alka-seltzer
.
   So, how does one find reading material that might contribute to the
fertilization of the intellect in the abyss that is 'the blogosphere?' Rushing pell-mell through the blogrolls of those journals one currently reads might lead to some fortuitous discoveries, but this mousal tarantism is as likely to leave one feeling like a gongoozler
, with nothing to show for the seemingly sudden passage of several hours of time that might better have been spent doing yard work.
   Patience is by far the better course of action. There is no Internet
oracle to guide one in the quest for the ascendant. It is best to continue reading those journals with which one is already familiar, while leaving the door open to the serendipitous discovery of a new link on occasion. It is also a good idea to perform a thorough runcation of one's own blogroll on a regular basis, as a farctate
reading list may lead to a reluctance to attempt further addition.
   Another area of concern to some, is the maintenance of their own journal. The act of blogging is an almost overt invitation to
apodyopsis, and on occasion, those who comment can be quite barbarous. You should not allow these mental aardvarks to dig a hole in your emotional defences. It does not matter if you are writing about the decline of fine haberdashery in western society, your favourite rutabaga, kumquat and pineapple recipes, or your love of the bassoon. Someone will always find reason to criticise. It may be feasible to adopt an online friend to act as a dompteur or dompteuse, and guide your early efforts until you gain sufficient confidence in your own writing. The main consideration is your own enjoyment. If it feels good, do it. If it doesn't, stop.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!  Now, where did I put that dictionary?  A few of those words--well, more than a few--are beyond even my frontier vocabulary.  Nevertheless, this is a cogent, well-organized and insightful essay, despite the artifice inherent in building an essay from an arbitrary word list.

Karen

Anonymous said...

You were busy last night!!! This essay is spectacular and well-written, and I am so glad that you did not go with your earlier plan. I am still chuckling, fantastic effort. judi

Anonymous said...

Irregardless ( ha ha ha I know that made your skin crawl) of the several times I had to reach for a dictionary to fathom your lexicon, I loved this entry!  
Chris
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/Inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/MyJournalJarSaturdaySixetcanswer

Anonymous said...

BRAVO !!!!   THIS WAS AWESOME !!!

 I wasn't sure if we were supposed to use more than 3 so I didn't.  I had the darndest time trying to find definitions to some of the words !!!!   Websters never heard of some !!!   Go figure !

Good Luck to you !!!    

Stacy

http://journals.aol.com/stacy1tbkl/MoreMomentaryMutterings/

Anonymous said...

This is great.  A sure winner.  Pennie

Anonymous said...

GREAT piece!!  Debra of http://journals.aol.com/dkb11161970/DebrasDose

Anonymous said...

Paul another great entry...it's amazing all the differences with the same words..very interesting...Sandi

Anonymous said...

Durn Paul, I'm impressed, irregardless of what others may think!! And the word you left out??? Palatial! Outstanding entry and these words were tough. Even I had to look a few of them up!! Penny

Anonymous said...

I thought I had a well developed vocabulary and the skill to use it properly and creativly...but sir..I must bow to the master!
   May I bask in your greatness!!  LOL!!  That was superb!!
I went in a little different direction with my entry.  Drop in and pass judgement if you wish...but be kind..its my first try.
http://journals.aol.com/galadriel92000/AFishOutofWater/entries/371
  Marie in TN

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah and you left out "palatial"...what a crafty way to be sure people read every word!! LOL
Marie in TN

Anonymous said...

I had to look up quite a few of those words...but I enjoy learning new ones!! LOL...and at a website that has all sort of weird words I found "fuscoferuginous" which fit into my story and I couldnt resist using it just for fun..
  MArie in TN
 

Anonymous said...

Some of your ruminations remind me of a few favorite Bushisms that have vexed my ears these past several years....

""The United States and Russia are in the midst of a transformationed relationship that will yield peace and progress."
-George W. Bush- Washington D.C.; November 13. 2001

"I think we should raise the age at which juveniles can have a gun."
-George W. Bush- St. Louis; October 18, 2000

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mential losses."
-George W. Bush- At a South Carolina oyster roast; as quoted in the Financial Times; January 14, 2000

Not my essay entry, the task still barely seems as feasible as my playing the bassoon in next weeks symphony concert. But something for your reading pleasure, I hope.

http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/1184

Anonymous said...

Well I was not as enterprising as most and only managed to incorporate a handful of Judi's lexicons. It was a bit arduous and I felt somewhat bombastic but in the end crafted something less farcical than originally intended. Hopefully after reading it most will not feel it fit only as fertilizer for yonder corn fields. But fear not I shall not be sucked into the deep abyss of despair if readers give me Sith, I shall have my revenge and find new hope in future writing. Gday mate.

http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/1185

Anonymous said...

paul -

hasn't anyone ever told you to eschew sesquipedalian obfuscation?

(but I am impressed nonetheless.)  bravo!

Anonymous said...

WELLLLLL, if the judges are giving MORE points for using MORE of these obscure words, YOU WON!!!  lol

I liked the other journal that you shared with us.  I know I LOVE rose "peddles"!!!LMAO!!!

http://journals.aol.com/cyndygee/TheRealWorldofcyndygee