Thursday, November 25, 2004

Weekend Assignment #36: Scalzi's Mug O' Change

Weekend Assignment #36: I have a mug on my desk with $70.65 in change in it. What should I do with the money? The only unacceptable answer is "give it to me." Honestly. You can do better.

  You should donate it to charity, of course. It's a perfect opportunity. It's basically found money, a windfall of sorts. I mean, you didn't miss it when you tossed it in there sixty-two cents at a time, did you? Now it's a half decent chunk o' change capable of really helping someone. And this is the time of year to help, isn't it. I've got the perfect beneficiary in mind: a fellow AOLer who's been through a horrible illness and could use assistance. Her screen name is MzGoochi, but pretty near everybody knows her as Lahoma, and there is a homegrown drive in the AOL journals community to help her and her son have a Merry Christmas. If you are interested, e-mail me and I will get the pertinent details to you. Won't get you a tax receipt, but the warm fuzzy feeling you get from helping a friend is worth twice that.

Extra Credit: If you've got a picture of your own loose change storage device, show it.

  You shouldn't discount the pennies, you know. They take longer to accumulate, but you miss them less, and when you do count them up, you can get quite a pleasant surprise. When I was single, and living at home with my parents, I dug a couple of two gallon wine jugs out of the cellar, kinda like this one, and stated throwing my pennies into them. Just pennies, no silver. When my wife and I moved into our first apartment, we counted them up. I had one bottle full and capped, and the other one almost there. I can't remember exactly how much was there, but it was more than $100. 

  These days we throw our loose change into a plastic salsa jar in the pantry in our kitchen. It never adds up to much as we dig into it when we need change for a coffee, or a stamp. I counted it up today, and it came to$38.35. Now my hands smell like pennies.
  Why do pennies smell different than every other coin? I remember those big bottles of pennies. The smell of copper pennies is like no other smell in the world. Or maybe it isn't the copper. I understand there isn't actually very much copper in those things anymore. Just like there isn't much in the way of nickel in- Wait! you say. How does the little drib drab of change in that salsa jar add up to over thirty-eight dollars? Remember, I'm in Canada. We haven't used bills for ones and twos in years. All those Loonies and Twonies add up in a hurry.
  Don't know what a Loonie or a Twonie is? That's an entry for another day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some Canadian coins, although I don't know what I'll do with them (I have money from a few other countries to, but Canadian is the most common in my part of Wisconsin, 2nd being Mexican money); there aren't any banks here I know of which will exchange foreign coin for American money. I have a $2 coin and a $1 coin from Canada as well. I didn't even know that any country made $2 coins, we don't have them in the states (do you guys say, "in the provinces"?---I know I'm side tracking).

I suggested helping Lahoma as well, although I directed John to the AOLer that started it all. And I suggested a couple of charities. It'd be kind of neat if he went with my idea of putting them all in a Salvation Army bucket, I'd love to see the look on the person's face!

Blessings. :)

http://journals.aol.com/glopsblink/ATreasureTroveofGoodies

Anonymous said...

PS: Just wondering, what part of Canada do you live in anyway?

Anonymous said...

That is great to advertize for lomaha,yes i to have a great list to send her way of great x-mas presants,I have been working on them for awhile..
she is  a great person..
and i hope not just her x-mas wishes come true but also her life wishes.cant thank of anyone who deserves it more

Anonymous said...

thats really nice of you but im saving up for my first car so i also need all of the money I get plus don't forget cell phone bill and credit card bill. But when I become rich and famous then i'll be helping charities a lot.

Anonymous said...

I remember when the New York State Thruway toll booths used to have signs posted: "We will happily accept Canadian coins at a 10% discount." Those signs were still up when, in the early 1970s I think, Canadian coins were worth more than the corresponding U.S. ones. I thought, 'Of course you'll happily accept them. You'll be making a profit!"

Needless to say, that was a long time ago.
Karen
http"//journals.aol.com/msecz/HappyDays

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I just accidentally pasted someone else's URL into my previous comment! - Karen

Anonymous said...

Thank You Paul!

Anonymous said...

OH PAUL!! THANK YOU!! LAHOMA REALLY IS HAPPY THAT YOU DID THIS FOR HER, AND QUITE SURPRISED, I MIGHT ADD. (I DIDNT TELL HER ABOUT YOUR EMAIL)
I APPRECIATE THIS TO, MORE THAN YOU KNOW.
NOW I AM ON TO TYING UP AN ENTRY ABOUT IT, AS SOON AS I CAN GET THIS COLD KNOCKED OUT THAT IS.
KIM.

Anonymous said...

are *you* sure it's the pennies your hands are smelly from???

just a thought.

and i have a tin mug O' change in my kitchen cabinet.  there. the secret is out. all the robbers know where my stashed fortune is.

thanks paul.