Wednesday, November 24, 2004

All the news that's fit to print?

Headline: Vanilla Ice In Trouble With Law Again.

Story: Vanilla Ice's pets escaped, and he may have to pay a fine for letting them run free.

  I am getting so sick and tired of this kind of irresponsible journalism. It's not bad enough that the headline is deliberately inflammatory, but the story isn't even remotely newsworthy. The only reason they ran it was so they could use that headline. What happened to the good old days, when the newspapers reported the news?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm Vanilla Ice would only be newsworthy, if I again decided to play "Ice Ice Baby" at any family event, as my siblings or husband would surely cause me bodily harm for doing so, LOL~Mary Anne~

Anonymous said...

As I saw on a recent episode of South Park <eg>, it's all about the ratings. Doesn't matter what the story is if you can pull people in. And, I agree, often I will catch the blurb and sit down to watch the story on TV to find that it just barely resembles a story... sad....
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure there was ever a golden age of newspapers, in which every story was well-researched, well-written, without distortion and of genuine import to readers. Heck, I'd be pleased and surprised if my local paper managed to put out an issue that was full of typos, misplaced text, and the occasional story that ends in the middle of a sentence. - Karen

Anonymous said...

that's not newsworthy, you say?

hmm.