Friday, October 29, 2004

Weekend Assignment #31: Your Own Epitaph

Again with the weekend assignment! The poor guy never rests. This week John says:

Write your own, preferably rhyming, epitaph.  For example,

Here lies Jed,
He fell out of bed.

Extra credit:  Write a cute epitaph for your favorite loved one, relative, or family pet. Suggestion: keep it light. You might want them to continue being your favorite loved one, relative, or family pet. Nothing is worse than having Fido dissing you over some silly words on a gravestone.

Well John, I debated not even writing a full journal entry for this week's assignment, and just leaving my epitaph in the comments section of By The Way, but that's not what this is all about, is it? So, I devoted my full attention to the task and composed two little ditties to mark the loss of so belov'd a pair as my wife and I:

Here lies Paul, a Canadian guy.
Engaged in curling he did die.
The skip yelled, "sweep!" with the voice of doom,
And Paul impaled himself on his broom.

Paul's wife Pat was a bonnie lass.
Far too early did she pass.
Trying to reach a kitchen shelf,
She fell off the ladder and killed herself.

If my wife sees this I'm gonna get a smack.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this/these a lot. Funny how this assignment seems to call for an AABB rhyme scheme. I usually despise this, but somehow it works for epitaphs. Cheers! - Karen
http://journals.aol.com/mavarin/MusingsfromMavarin/entries/1278

Anonymous said...

LOL That's funny Paul. I hope you do get a smack, just for the heck of it. hee hee

Anonymous said...

Anothe needless Curling Fatality!  LOL!  Funny entry!

Anonymous said...

A chilling Epitaph, made me toenails curl. I've heard that curling can be a rather dangerous sport ... but I like it still. Please feel welcome to come and read how I angled my assignment. Warmest regards and cheers to very long, and illustrious life before it all gets swept away.

http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/619

Anonymous said...

GREAT EPITAPH! HAD ME LAUGHING AT THE WIFE ONE. THANK YOU SHARING IT.